CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i running rich (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-running-rich-133221/)

hockeyryan 12-28-2011 07:51 PM

F4i running rich

hey, so ever since i bought my bike its been running pretty rich. It has a heavy gas smell when running and my buddies say it stinks when they are ridding behind me, also if i rev up the engine flame shoots outa the exhaust pipe. i get about 115 miles on a full tank riding about 50/50 on highway and street. how can i fix this problem?? i do want to get a power commander but they are so expensive. is that the only way i can fix air to fuel ratio?

donnygeewebb 12-28-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by hockeyryan (Post 1121365)
hey, so ever since i bought my bike its been running pretty rich. It has a heavy gas smell when running and my buddies say it stinks when they are ridding behind me, also if i rev up the engine flame shoots outa the exhaust pipe. i get about 115 miles on a full tank riding about 50/50 on highway and street. how can i fix this problem?? i do want to get a power commander but they are so expensive. is that the only way i can fix air to fuel ratio?

When was the last time you have cleaned your carbs? More than likely the problem is coming from the carburetor's, and cleaning them might be a fast and easy first solution. Always test the easy cheap first, and hey, if it doesn't work, you got a set of clean carbs. It's a win/win situation :D

cnicosiaF4i 12-29-2011 12:06 AM

F4i's dont have carburetors :icon_slap2:. I assume you have a slip-on exhaust? If so other than going back to the stock exhaust, the only way I know how to change the fuel/air ratio would be a power commander with the appropriate map for your exhaust.

donnygeewebb 12-29-2011 01:43 AM

:icon_dunce: lol sorry just came from a ninja...fail

Well, the O2 sensor could be affecting it. There has gotta be a way to fix it because these bikes aren't made for aftermarket parts, aftermarket parts are made for them, (i.e. it was doing fine without it before.)

hockeyryan 12-29-2011 02:59 AM

lol. i was gonna say the f4i was fuel injected. i don't know if it was running not as rich before.. i bought it with the slip-on...on the bike. i heard there is a idle and fuel ratio screw.. is that true?

madman 12-29-2011 04:29 AM

LOL fuel ratio screw, you gotta be kidding me.

What year is your bike and what mods have you done to it? Be specific.

Check your plugs to see if it's really running rich. Otherwise put it on a dyno or borrow someone's wideband. I find it really hard to believe that it's running rich.

Sick97SS 12-29-2011 10:34 AM

My reserve bars always come one around 120-130 miles with 50/50 hwy city as well. Im also very rev happy :D

I got a PCIII hoping to get some better mpg which is says right on the box. It smoothed out the rpms for sure but the mpg never changed even with trying out a few diff maps.

The smell of gas and running overly rich can be a sign of a dying FPR. Common to replace on f4i's.

Dont look to hard for that fuel ratio screw either :icon_lolsign:

John Cu 12-29-2011 10:47 AM

Well, I have the same problem, I get 110 miles on a full tank, sometimes more, sometimes less but i also dont know what's happening. Could it be the fpr??? I Have iridium sparks...

eamoto 12-29-2011 11:16 AM

^ you need to clean up the throttle body and check the valves if your MPG avg drops bad but the bike is running fine to the naked ear..

74demon 12-29-2011 11:23 AM

+1 to the fuel pressure regulator. raw fuel in the exhaust is not good. to check it, pull the vacuum line going to it and see if fuel drips out or if you smell fuel. do this with pressure in the fuel rail.