CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   f4i to RR question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-rr-question-131798/)

Mendigo Azul 10-22-2011 04:09 PM

f4i to RR question

So, I was waiting to get my f4i worked on at the dealer and they let me test ride an 09 RR. I was amazed at the difference between mine that the RR. I love the f4i, but I want it to feel like the RR. How could I make that happen?? Suspension or something? Any advice will be highly appreciated :)
Thanks!!!

sparkman 10-22-2011 05:27 PM

Two words: "Trade in".

I know that isn't what you want to hear and I'm not trying to be negative, but you're looking at two completely different motorcycles. Different frames, suspension, brakes, motor, everything that gives a bike its character.
You could swap your forks and swing arm to rr units and your bike still won't feel like an rr.
If you could identify which aspects of the rr's "feel" that you liked then you could try to address the components that affect those areas.
Suspension upgrades and a set of lightweight aftermarket wheels will totally change the feel of your f4i for the better but by the time you pay for that you could have bought an rr. And, even though it will feel better than a stock f4i, it still won't feel like an rr.

Mendigo Azul 10-22-2011 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reply, Spartan. I just hit 9k on my f4i (I got her with 5k) and its mint, so I'm a bit hesitant to trade her in. I would want to milk it a bit, but I hear you, its like night and day.
its hard for me to say, the handling just felt real tight. handling aside, I didn't feel much of an acceleration difference.
Sounds like it will be too expensive, so ill probably end up trading her in soon.

R Dub 10-22-2011 10:27 PM

3 words. GET THE RR. Seriously! I had a F4i and while it was a great bike the RR is so much better. It is so much smoother, the throttle, the clutch, the breakes, the power bank, the ride. It screams like a raped ape up top. It gets better gas milage than my F4i. It has the gas gauge. It handles better. It looks better (And yes I do like the looks of the F4i). There is only 1 downfall to the RR over the F4i and that is the F4i has more low end torque and trust me I have got over that quick. The RR is not any more uncomfortbale than the F4i. My advise is do it. I have owned both bikes and every single day I look and ride my RR I love that I made the switch and regret that I didn't do it sooner.

Mendigo Azul 10-24-2011 12:43 AM

The more I think about it, the more I want to pull the trigger. I couldn't believe the difference in the two.
I feel like ill also be happy with the switch.
Thanks for the reply and the insight!!!

Mendigo Azul 10-25-2011 08:48 AM

I came up on a possible trade. I might trade for an 04 RR with 9k. This is the link http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2665655924.html
I would trade mine (01 f4i with just a lil over 9100 and clean as can be) plus 1200 cash. Does that sound like a fair trade? Also anything I should look for when looking at it??

R Dub 10-25-2011 10:13 AM

What you should do is do some research to see what clean F4i's in your area are selling for and then see what clean 04's RR's are selling for and compare. In my area you could get $3500-$4000 for the F4i and the RR would probably sell for $4500 or thereabout. Based on this info I think you would be over paying but in your area you might not be.

RoadiJeff 10-25-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mendigo Azul (Post 1109232)
I came up on a possible trade. I might trade for an 04 RR with 9k.

You said that you test rode an '09 RR. The RR underwent a major revision in the 2008 model year and the '09 that you rode will feel quite a bit different than an '04 RR, according to several people on the forums who have owned both the older and the newer versions.

The 08+ 1k RR feels like riding a 600, has 30 hp more than the older RR, 27 lbs lighter, suspension upgrades, etc. Be sure you'll be happy with an older one before you get too far into this.

Honda CBR 1000RR Specs

Mendigo Azul 10-25-2011 11:04 AM

R DUB, I did some research and clean F4is with a few more miles than mine are going for 3500+ and the RRs are about 4-5k. I feel like I would be over paying, if I gave him the 1200. Thanks for the heads up!!! =)
RoadiJeff, the 1k would be overkill for me. I'm looking at the 600. I apologize, I should have stated so earlier. But you are right, i need to get on the 04 to make sure I like it.
Now that I look it, the 08 1000RR looks good ;) thanks for the link!!!!
I'm going to see if I can negotiate with the guy and test it out. If it doesn't pull through, I think I might wait and save up some money and get a later model RR :D

Sick97SS 10-25-2011 03:44 PM

1000rr's are puuure sickness. Be aware of the 2008s as they have major oil burning issues. Link