F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i rear shock options? update*

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F4i rear shock options?

First, thanks to Jaybird for diggin up some old info on springs for me, specifically Eibach's.

1)according to race tech: I need a 15.6kg spring rate, they only offered 14 or 16kg race tech springs, which are no longer available. they may be able to get the Eibach, but want $120 per spring. no collars or special fitment washers needed.

2)I went shopping on the web and found a car suspension dealer in Cali (Shox.com)that could get me the spring I wanted for $69 plus $10 shipping. Plus, by providing part numbers, I got a 15.8kg spring instead of the 16.1kg spring.

3)during my research, I found a website that shows every spring Eibach makes, you just have to know what size
http://www.eshocks.com/hyp_make.asp

4) after double and tripple checking, then checking again against various search engines and catalogs I verified these part numbers for Eibach springs that fit the F4i shock.
0600-225-0850 15.8kg
0600-225-0900 16.1kg
(6in- 2.25ID- spring rate)

thanks for the help guys, my spring should be here by the end of next week, and I will let you know how it turns out. hopefully it really is a direct replacement spring, nothing extra needed, and that will get my by for a few more track days
until I can buy a real shock

EDIT: after I got the spring, I found out you DO need the new collars because the honda spring is tapered and the Eibach is not. So, I ordered a couple of the collars from race-tech, they're only a couple of bucks a piece, but put me week behind waiting for them to show up.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who's going to install the spring for you? Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:18 AM

well, to be honest, I havent got that far yet. I need to do some research this week on what it will take to get that spring swapped. unless there is something that involves dissambling the actual pressurized shock itself, Ishould be able todo it myself. I have a spring compressor, although it is for car springs, itshould work.

worse case scenario, I do have a couple of moto repair shops in my area, I am sure they wouldnt charge me too much to just swap a spring

Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think you're set to go then.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/600RRshock.htm
This might be useful if you are planning on doing it yourself,although it is for a 600rr

Old 04-05-2008, 07:28 AM

thanks for the link to PVD, thats about the only one I have seen with halfway useful information.( even though Peter Verdone is a "holyier than thou" smack ***)

I was looking at it last night and it shouldnt be too tough. remove the tank, maybe the back wheel to actually get enough room to pull the shock out, support the bike on jackstands by the rearsets. compress the spring, pull the locking plate and collar out, put new spring on, and reassemble.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 PM

Any news on the process? I have a 15 kg/mm spring that I'm planning on installing on my F4 in the next couple of weeks and would like to do it myself.

Thanks,
Nick A.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM

I installed thisspring last week, made a how to thread: https://cbrforum.com/m_551263/tm.htm

I am still tweaking the spring in, but here is the overview of intial feedback: definately worth the money (less than a $100 for everythng including tool) if your poor like me, are on the heavier side of 150lbs and ride the bike hard. Its not like upgrading to an Ohlins or anything, but it is just an improvement on the stock shock. Cant say for sure yet on the fine details, as I havent finished tuning it. As with any suspension change, if your a DIY'er the tuning takes alot of trial and effort

little more detail:

this spring is much stiffer. I went with the 850 (15.8kg) spring as I average 185 with no gear. with this new spring, the minimum sag I can get
out of this bike is 25mm.(was looking for 30-35). but again that is with no gear, so I feel that once I load on 15-20lbs ofgear, that number will problably get closer to the 30mm mark. I may go ahead and order an 800, but will wait becuase I can gain or lose 5lbs by taking a big ....bathroom break.

ride is much stiffer, but not neccessarily bad. I am in the process of adjusting the rebound currently. When I changed the springs, at first did not change the rebound or compression settings.- just for my own reference. First thing I noticed, and expected, was that I needed to increase the rebound setting substantially, as you would expect becuase this spring is stiffer and wants to come back up quicker. There is absolutely NO rear end squat coming out of the corners on hard acceleration, which means I can hold a line, but not sure its a good thing. Not sure if I picked too stiff a spring, or if I just need to soften the compression.

That is a far as I have gotten on fine tuning it at this point, I have managed to get past the chassis wallowing in the hard corners becuase of the rebound,
not overly worried about compression settings, may soften it just a hair.

I am going to Barber next weekend for 2 days, I am hoping to get it polished off down there, maybe even have some semi-professional help.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 AM

Anybody ever hear of a hyperpre rear shock? I saw one on ebay that could be a good deal. No idea what weight it is set up for tho.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: krash

4) after double and tripple checking, then checking again against various search engines and catalogs I verified these part numbers for Eibach springs that fit the F4i shock.
0600-225-0850 15.8kg
0600-225-0900 16.1kg
(6in- 2.25ID- spring rate)
By my calculation an 850 lb per inch is 15.2 kg per mm.
850 / 2.2 = 386.4
386.4 / 25.4 = 15.2

Am I calculating it wrong?

Quick Reply: F4i rear shock options? update*