F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i - playing w/ suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i - playing w/ suspension

this is with .95kg/mm springs with stock preload spacers, and the preload adjustment seems to be in a stock position.
i havent adjusted the sag or anything, and i somewhat feel a difference adjusting the dampeners.
i've come to a a setup which doesnt make sense to me, so first off does anyone know if the stock 11 year old internals should be functioning properly?
riding down a bumpy road not taking into account for turns, i've come to liking all the way soft on compression dampening and all the way hard on rebound dampining.
that seems like a bad idea, and on a second gear hard acceleration with some bumps i felt the front end be lighter than it should.
however before that i tried medium rebound and hard compression and it has definatly affected my braking, i feel as if i can effectivly brake faster with a softer compression.
im sure ideal is somewhere in between but its hard to tell how much is actually being adjusted, also this is for the front suspension only i havent touched the rear yet.
anyone know if the f4i has a good suspension to work with? it's a vague question i know but any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Age doesn't matter on internals but the fork oil age does matter. Of course you want full rebound and no compression, you have much harder springs in the forks. Stiffer springs push the fork back out much quicker, needing more rebound dampning [which you don't have] while they are much harder to compress meaning you need less compression dampning [which you have too much of].
When I put my .85kg springs in I also put gold rebound valves as I knew stock valving couldn't handle the higher rate springs. I wish I had done compression valves as well, right now Im barely 1 turn out from full soft.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 AM

so im wondering if i got too stiff of springs, i weigh about 170 without my gear on, and my gear weighs at least 15 pounds.
just going off of my weight alone i was recomended the .95kg springs, from the website, and i figured if i drop to 160 i can still use them.
i went with the racing option considering this is supposed to be my track bike.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 AM

i've also got to say this is a pretty good write up, it goes into a bit more details in some area's such as stiction, which i havent seen before.
HOW TO: Motorcycle Suspension Setup 101 : Yamaha R1 Forum
the site he links to is pretty sweet too with video's, now the guy who wrote the post said to push down at the rear and gas cap
for the balance part, but for me that doesnt compress my forks. handlebar and crotch area and both mine compress evenly it feels.
cool stuff. now to make some rearsets https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...earsets-22301/