CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i Odometer Reading (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-odometer-reading-104791/)

jrossi90 01-13-2010 12:04 AM

F4i Odometer Reading

Hi All,
I own a 2002 F4i 75,000 KM's and recently purchsed a engine with less than 500 KM's on it, my question is after I swap out the engine how can I make the Odometer display the correct value? The new engine came with the original computer as well, if I swap out the computers will that change the ODO reading or is the ODO cable driven?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

dyracuse 01-13-2010 12:11 AM

Well, the rest of the bike still has 75000 on it, so I'd just be honest and upfront with the buyer, or run it another 25000, I've seen them turn over to 0 on youtube when the hit 100k. Strange that the f4i would have less digits than the f3, but it does.

Jmclmorrow 01-13-2010 07:12 AM

just be honest when you try to sell it, keep all the paperwork for the new engine so you can show the buyer that it was replaced and you could even take a couple pictures when you are swapping out of the bike during the swap and the odometer so he can get an idea of how many miles were on the bike when you swapped it so he can figure out how many miles are on the new engine.

jrossi90 01-13-2010 03:08 PM

I guess its just human nature to assume the worst (fair enough) but truth be told I am not planning on selling this bike ANY time in the near future, I have no ulterior motives here, I ask mainly for my own knowledge on how the ODO works on this bike, and also because I guess I simply would like the ODO to display the correct mileage as on the engine/tranny, I guess its a personal preference more than anything. Interestingly enough, nothing really (pretty much besides the frame/fairings) is original on the bike, including swingarm suspension calipers etc.. this new engine comes fully assembled with full wiring harness headers so I think a lower ODO reading would be a more accurate as to the current condition of the bike as opposed to the 75,xxx KM current reading.

The engine is from a very reputable scrapper in the states with a full receipt and money back agreement etc... so its not like I would need proof (just have to match the VIN on the block to the one on the receipt).

Anyways, can anyone provide me with any technical insight here as to my original question?

Thanks!

caddylicious 01-13-2010 03:10 PM

If you're not trying to sell it why would u want the correct reading? Higher miles = Higher Street Cred! FTW!

Bently600 01-13-2010 03:19 PM

Speedo on F2 was the last cbr to be cable driven. Now it is electronic pickup.
Not sure if the bike's cpu holds that ODO info or if it is saved in the instrument cluster.

asill 01-13-2010 03:53 PM

From what i know, the miles are stored in the odo, not the computer. if you get a gauge that reads 4500 and put it in your bike, it'll read 4500. if you put your gauges in any other bike, it'll read the milage that is on that particular gauge.

So your chance of putting the correct milage on your odo is pretty much null, unless if you find a gauge cluster that reads the same ammount of miles that are on the motor now.

But for future reference, keep the receipts for the motor swap so IF you do sell it, you can prove that there are lower miles on the bike than the odo reads.

jrossi90 01-13-2010 06:12 PM

Thanks a lot guys, you answered my question!

Originally Posted by caddylicious (Post 873499)
If you're not trying to sell it why would u want the correct reading? Higher miles = Higher Street Cred! FTW!

caddy - I didn't think of it that way, thanks!