F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i No Spark! Any Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey people got an update here. My bike still wont start. I just replaced the Ignition pulse generator and that did nothing. No signal for spark at all.
Now the bike is setting a code for the Cam pulse generator (18 FI blinks), not sure when exactly this started happening I just noticed it now. I checked the output voltage at the connector for the cam sensor and its way below spec. Here is the interesting thing though, I checked the resistance of the cam sensor and it was at like 1.6 million ohms. Crazy high so I'm almost positive this is my problem. These sensors are not cheap though so I thought id post up here and see if anyone knows for sure if this is my problem or not. thanks for your time dudes

Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM

My son just had this exact problem on his 954. He cleaned ALL the grounds and it fired right up. Maybe.....

Old 03-16-2010, 10:59 PM

Is the front fairing on the bike? Had the SAME problem about a month ago, same exact conditions (I had just hooked up my HID kit) and the bike wouldn't fire. The front fairing was hooked up, but if it's not facing UP like it would be on the bike the fuel pump won't kick on. Make sure it's not that... kinda stupid, but that was what my problem was haha

Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 AM

The fairings are off of my bike at the moment. But I have the headlight assembly with the tilt sensor facing up, and the fuel pump kicks on no problem. You can also here it working when cranking, and to my understanding if the tilt sensor cuts off power for the bike it cuts fuel correct? I have fuel just no spark, think im gonna go pick up a cam sensor today cuz that has to be it

Old 03-17-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2wh33lsoffury
The fairings are off of my bike at the moment. But I have the headlight assembly with the tilt sensor facing up, and the fuel pump kicks on no problem. You can also here it working when cranking, and to my understanding if the tilt sensor cuts off power for the bike it cuts fuel correct? I have fuel just no spark, think im gonna go pick up a cam sensor today cuz that has to be it
Ah sorry, I missed the part where the fuel pump was priming

Damn, I thought that would be it too lol

Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 AM

When im checking the voltage for the pulse generator do I check AC voltage or DC voltage?

The Pulse generator puts out alternating current. Wish I would have seen the post earlier; could have saved you some time.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Now the bike is setting a code for the Cam pulse generator (18 FI blinks), not sure when exactly this started happening I just noticed it now. I checked the output voltage at the connector for the cam sensor and its way below spec. Here is the interesting thing though, I checked the resistance of the cam sensor and it was at like 1.6 million ohms. Crazy high so I'm almost positive this is my problem.

I believe someone already mentioned that it could be a cam sensor(could be mistaken though; I have been wrong once before) I would say that this is definetely the problem.

"An electrical pulse is generated, when the camshaft is at a predetermined position.
It acts like a set of points and tells the ECU (computer) when to fire the spark plugs.

When the cam pulse generator is faulty, the ECU will not tell the coils it's time to fire the spark plugs - resulting in no spark and engine stalling"

Sound like your problem???

Old 03-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Yeah Tkinney sounds exactly like my problem. Bike cranks fine all day but no signal to spark at all. Going to get a cam sensor this week i will lecha no what happens.

Question about the fairings and plastics - I currently do not have the fairings or turn signals mounted on the bike, but every thing electrical is connected and everything works (turn signals, brakes, headlights). Is there some protective device that will prevent the bike from starting if the plastics are not mounted right? Tip over sensor is the only thing i know of and I have that set upright.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Let me know what happens. Same bike and same prob and one of my honda mechanic buddys and I narrowed it down to prolly a cam sensor too. let me no if she runs. thanks man

Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM

Hey people good news. Cam sensor came in the mail finally and i popped that sucker in there and my bike fired right up. Crazy stuff I still have no idea why the cam sensor went out but I really dont care at this point I'm just psyched to get out on 2 wheels again. Thanks everyone for you comments n stuff it was helpful

Quick Reply: F4i No Spark! Any Ideas