F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i "must-haves"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i "must-haves"?

Alrighty, I just picked up an '05 F4i and will be needing a few items. Some sort of lock for the bike for when I am at the mall. At home, I have a 3rd car garage that stores the bike, so that part is covered.

I will be needing a tank pad of some sort, I would hate to scratch this beauty.

I don't want to mess with the engine too much, I want to leave it mostly stock, however, I would like a relatively cheap slip-on can that will make the bike sound a lot better. I am not too concerned about increasing power. I mean, if I pick up a HP or two, that's cool, but I basically want a better and more noticeable sound that will not lower performance and will not require a power commander or any kind of adjustments to accomodate it. I want to bolt it on and drive off, that simple. If I gain 2HP, so much the better.

Anything else that you guys can recommend?

Old 08-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Default RE: F4i "must-haves"?

IMHO, forget the pipe. Get full gear and hit the track several times. Consider it a rider "must-have" rather than a bike must-have. Plus, this "mod" will be transferable to any other bike you ride.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:18 PM

+1 on getting to the track and gear. Next would be have a competent shop or person do a baseline suspension setup for you and your wieght on the bike. A set of rearsets will help from grinding pegs and toes at the track (Vortex aprox $299 1" up & 1" back).

Old 08-08-2005, 03:04 PM

Every cbr needs a two bro's racing pipe. Def. get some gear. I just wear a joe rocket jacket, icon gloves, shoes that cover my ankles and jeans when I go riding. I feel safe, and the kevlar jacket keeps you cooler than you'd think. Looks cool too.

I wouldn't F with the engine on the bike, just put that slip-on pipe, and maybe gear it if you wanna have 750's wonder what's wrong with their bike. I have a pro grip tank grip, I love the look.

You can kinda see it in the above pic. Also, note the corbin seats. IMO, these are a must have. I can't sit on a stock seat for too long after riding on that piece. It's like riding on your lazy boy.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:05 PM

I think that the TBR pipe adds around 15 HP or so. At least that's what I heard. You can def. feel the difference.... And the sound is the best I've heard on an F4i...

Old 08-08-2005, 07:13 PM

I'm a pretty new rider myself, here are the first "must have" items that I bought:

1. A protective Jacket, gloves, boots. I usually wear jeans, but I'll own some real pants when it cools down a little.

2. A quality brand NEW helmet. Don't buy anything less than a SHOEI or an Arai helmet, and don't buy a used helmet. Do yourself a favor and protect your melon. My bike came with an almost new HJC, which I thought would suffice. Then I tried on a new Arai. It was an expensive helmet, but it fits great.

3. Protect your tank.... I bought a big sheet of clear, tacky milar and cut out my own pieces of tank pads. You can also use static cling vinyl.

4. My next move is an exhaust, but that maybe next year. As you can imagine, steps 1-3 weren't cheap.

Good luck

Old 08-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Well, I have a helmet, gloves, a jacket and boots already.

I picked up a tank pad, and I also removed the windscreen and spray-painted the inside of it jet black. Looks great, and looks like an aftermarket item that came that way. It's like painting R/C cars, where painting the inside of the clear plastic shell looks awesome from the outside.

I am wondering what slip-on to get. I want something fairly inexpensive, like under $300. I want to spend 15 minutes bolting it on, and I don't want to have to do anything else to the bike. I just want it to sound louder and better.

Any idears?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 AM

i put a jardine rt one on my 05 f4i and love it, it is loud but not to loud and got it from pipecity for around $225shipping included. i would also recommend a fender eliminator as well from competition werkes

Old 08-09-2005, 12:13 AM

Should I get a street or race baffle on that Jardine unit?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:43 AM

Alright, I just ordered the RT1 race baffle slip-on. It says that it is for '01-'04 F4i models but I am assuming that it will fit the '05 as there were no real changes between those years?