CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i lifter noise/sound from exhaust after shutdown (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-lifter-noise-sound-exhaust-after-shutdown-101609/)

neel2008 09-30-2009 11:20 PM

F4i lifter noise/sound from exhaust after shutdown

Ok having a couple little issues with the f4i. first is a weird ticking noise (like a lifter noise) on start up when its cool and it makes this weird moan/drone noise out of the exhaust when u shut it off. I am familiar with the CCT and no that is not it. It was fine, then I changed the oil (used the same castrol syntec 10w-40 and oil filter that I have always used) then a day or so later I took it apart to install the 20 shot of nitrous and I did the clean air mod while I had it apart. I know it does change the pressure in the crankcase, maybe that's what the moan/low drone sound that comes from the pipe for a second is from, the pressure is equalizing again or something.

Well after I put it back together I started it up and it started making this lifter/ticking noise, never lost oil pressure or anything like that. Now to my knowledge, noisy lifter are usually casued by the oil passages in the lifters becomming clogged with gunk and "sticking" and created a gap between the cam and lifter or lifter and valve and you hear the tick from them hitting. My thoughts are some gunk got knocked loose durring the oil change and plugged up a lifter. Thinking about putting a half can of seafoam in the crankcase and changing the oil after 10-15 miles again. Thougts on this? The moan/drone noise from the exhaust is another mystery, have no idea if its because of the clean air mod or what. OH BTW I got the bike with 6700 miles on it, its an 02. Has like 10300 miles now.
Should i use something like rotella t 15w-40 synthetic? I know alot of people like it, but I can't seem to find it in stores.

PlayfulGod 09-30-2009 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by neel2008 (Post 843196)
Ok having a couple little issues with the f4i. first is a weird ticking noise (like a lifter noise) on start up when its cool and it makes this weird moan/drone noise out of the exhaust when u shut it off. I am familiar with the CCT and no that is not it. It was fine, then I changed the oil (used the same castrol syntec 10w-40 and oil filter that I have always used) then a day or so later I took it apart to install the 20 shot of nitrous and I did the clean air mod while I had it apart. I know it does change the pressure in the crankcase, maybe that's what the moan/low drone sound that comes from the pipe for a second is from, the pressure is equalizing again or something.

Well after I put it back together I started it up and it started making this lifter/ticking noise, never lost oil pressure or anything like that. Now to my knowledge, noisy lifter are usually casued by the oil passages in the lifters becomming clogged with gunk and "sticking" and created a gap between the cam and lifter or lifter and valve and you hear the tick from them hitting. My thoughts are some gunk got knocked loose durring the oil change and plugged up a lifter. Thinking about putting a half can of seafoam in the crankcase and changing the oil after 10-15 miles again. Thougts on this? The moan/drone noise from the exhaust is another mystery, have no idea if its because of the clean air mod or what. OH BTW I got the bike with 6700 miles on it, its an 02. Has like 10300 miles now.
Should i use something like rotella t 15w-40 synthetic? I know alot of people like it, but I can't seem to find it in stores.

Wal-Mart carries the Rotella T (blue jug). I dont think our bikes have lifters like you're thinking of, I think they are just disc with diff thicknesses. Has your bike ever had the valves readjusted? The air mod you did may have something to do with the other noise you are hearing.

neel2008 10-01-2009 12:58 AM

hmm I checked walmart and autozone and neither had it, Ill have to look again next time. I don't know if they were done before I got it, there was no record. Like I said I got the bike with 6700 on it. Ill probaly leave it alone for now and adjust the valves over the winter.
Also how about a service manual pdf download online?

PlayfulGod 10-01-2009 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by neel2008 (Post 843238)
hmm I checked walmart and autozone and neither had it, Ill have to look again next time. I don't know if they were done before I got it, there was no record. Like I said I got the bike with 6700 on it. Ill probaly leave it alone for now and adjust the valves over the winter.
Also how about a service manual pdf download online?

try this one

http://www.cbrextreme.com/get/17/