F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Good Start Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Good Start Bike?

Hi, I've been debating this bike as my 1st bike, but figured I'd ask people who already own this bike for there advise. I'm just looking for a rough idea if this bike is beyond my scope, as in I should get something in the lower cc before jumping into this bike. Will this bike be forgiving to a new driver?

Old 10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Default RE: F4i Good Start Bike?

well it really depends on what your riding experience is. Alot of people say that the F4i's were the best bikes made, and by far the best entry bike, but that doesnt mean anybody can just jump on one and ride it. These bikes are very forgiving only if you respect the bike and your skill that goes along with it. I'll say that the F4i doesnt have as much HP as some of the other 600's out there but is def. a good bike to start with. I rode for a year and a half before i bought mine but a very good entry bike

Old 10-20-2005, 03:42 PM

I guess I did forget to give some background on myself. I've never rode before but became intrested after my cusion got his 1st bike a SV650. I want to take the MSF traning in my area come this spring (06). When I do complete the course the next step is a bike. So i've been looking around and came apon this one along with the new 06 ninja 650R and suzuki GS500F. I've always concidered myself a very careful driver when it comes to my car. I'm not the type of person to do 50 in a 30 zone eather or start doing wheelys my 1st week on a bike. I really would appricate some direction from people who have more riding experince than me.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:25 PM

Well I can tell you that the f4i was my first bike and man did it take a beating!! when i wrecked the first one i got another beacause i liked evrything about it so much .its more than powerfull enough for a beginer and manouvers better than bigger bikes. but like i said it will take a beating.....(which a new rider will give it while learning) and still run great. but hey thats just my 2 cents

Old 10-20-2005, 06:39 PM

Don't get something that you will lose interest in after the first month of riding, as you would with a smaller bike. I just bought a 02 F4I, and I have been on big cruisers for 5 years, and this bike is great.

2 cents : get a 600, don't go smaller.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 PM

i agree with that, anything smaller you will probably get discouraged with it when you learn more about the bike, but with a 600 you still need to treat it with respect. People that have never ridden before and jump onto 600's and 1000's and try doing wheelies the first week, end up crashing, killing themselves, or hurting someone else. Those are the types of people that make the rest of us riders suffer by having to pay rediculous amounts of insurance, and more or less setting the stereotype that all people that own sport bikes are idiots. You'll love the bike, and the power is all there, but please dont do anything your not capable of.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 PM

I dont think getting something smaller is a bad choice...but be aware your gonna ride it for a couples months and want to upgrade. I bought an 01' F4i for my first bike and still have it just got done with my first season and im not dissapointed at all. Infact I am quite happily surprised how easy a second gear sit down will come up. So yes in agreeance with everyone else respect your 600 its not just a begginer bike.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:02 AM

Thank you all for your responses and look foawrd to anyone else who can shead some light on this motorcycle. I've also been wondering about where to find this bike for sale. I've used the obvious choices such as ebay and cycletrader, but was hoping there may be some other avenues I could go down to find this modle in a 01-05 range.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:50 AM

I rode a suzuki bandit 600s for 2 months, sold it, and then 6 months later bought an f4i. I had the guy I bought it from ride it over to my house because I was afraid I wouldnt be able to ride it and would crash. Well, once it was at my house I hopped on it and it was easier than **** to ride. It fealt like a toy compared to the Bandit. Every control input you do on a sportbike is instant, every movement has some effect on the motorcycle. I dropped the bandit 3 times, all from killing the motor (I had NO clue how to work the clutch) and the bike jumped out from underneath me and I couldnt hold it up (bandits are heavy). So the point is, you might drop it a few times, so be prepared for the fact that you might damage your pretty new bike. I usually talk **** about Hondas and the f4i, but really its a good bike to learn on. My only major complaint is that it had more power, ive only put 5000 miles on mine and it just feels down right slow. But if you are new, you dont need more power anyway. I wanted to sell it and get something faster, but everyday it teaches me something new and makes me a better rider. Once you get used to the bike you will feel like you're one of the Hayden brothers, but the truth is youll have a lot more to learn and its a great bike to teach you. Dont get a ninja500 or suzuki 500, or any of those psuedo sportbikes, they are just waste of time and money. A ninja650r or sv would be allright, but I think the f4i is your best choice. Any 600 supersport is manageable with respect and brains, but the f4i is probably the easiest out of them all. Look in your local newspaper for f4i's. They have been making them since 2001, and it seems everyone and their mom owns one or knows someone who has one.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:14 AM

You could contact your local dealers and have them put you on a list for a used one. The dealers in my area were pretty good about that. You just have to go in knowing what it books out at (kbb.com or nadaguides.com) and not take any crap from them. But I think cycletrader is a good place to be when you are buying or selling.

Quick Reply: F4i Good Start Bike?