F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Flood Victim Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Flood Victim Help!

So the floods in the northeast took their toll on my friends bike, and almost his 1 week old 2012 civic si. He has a 2006 F4i in previously mint condition. It was completely submerged in water for a day.

We ripped it apart and took off everything we could get to pretty much. Im bringing my pressure washer and that should make the mud/slime rinse off a fast process. The problem we have right now is it seems the gauge cluster is dead. I split it in two and is drying out right now. I will try it with my bike to see if it works in a few days.
The only other major problem is the engine. It is completely full of water. Cylinders, oil pan, upper cylinder head etc. So, what are our options on getting it running again. We turned the bike upside down and turned the engine manually to rotate the cylinders, and some more water came out. It drained most of the water out of the oil as well.

So the question is, How do we get the water and dirt out of the cylinders and the oil pan? Was thinking to fill the oil pan completely with oil from the top of the engine. Rotate the engine several times manually, then drain. Keep doing this with kerosene and oil and wait til it comes out clean.

Now what about the cylinders? I was thinking of filling with kerosene to dissolve the dirt, but then how would we get it out? If it means a complete engine overhaul, I dont mind doing it this winter, but if its not necessary I'd rather not have to.

Thanks for the replies, and heres some pics for the "pics or it didnt happen" people

Before:

Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 AM

Wow I'm sorry to hear about that, Greene got hit hard. Luckily over here in Afton I live far enough off the river I didn't have to worry that much. You're best bet might be to tear it down as much as you can and clean clean clean. The kerosene and oil idea would prolly work if it was just submerged in water for a short period. But with that much mud and everything else a little extra elbow grease will probably be in order.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 AM

take the engine valve cover off to get a better look.