CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i Down....Sad day (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-down-sad-day-151724/)

mattrowland 04-23-2014 02:05 PM

F4i Down....Sad day

5 Attachment(s)
I haven't posted in awhile since moving back home to Los Angeles but needed to share this with the forum. So Easter afternoon, I was going on another great weekend ride to Malibu. Some old lady decided she needed to park on the street and cut in front of the cars in the middle lane as we were going thru a green light. I couldn't see her but the car in front of me slammed on their brakes, and I didn't have any room to get out. I probably relaxed going thru the light cause you almost NEVER slam on brakes thru a green light.;) I braked too hard in the front and down it went one the left side. I slammed on the my shoulder and head a couple of times then rolled. Broken collarbone and three broken ribs. Gear saved me. I had the GoPro on so i'll upload the video. Not much to see but video is video...:) You see me fly off to the left and break the windscreen with my foot. That's why my big toe hurt. Anyway, frame sliders saved it from more damage. Here are some pictures.

74demon 04-23-2014 02:13 PM

That's too bad but it could have been worse, a lot worse.
Glad you're ok.

Conrice 04-23-2014 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1271770)
That's too bad but it could have been worse, a lot worse.
Glad you're ok.

I agree. All things considered - it's a relief that you're in as good of shape as you are. And the bike isn't bad by any means either. It sucks going down. But at the same time, it's a lot better to be angry about it than "nothing thinking about it at all", if you know what I mean.

Glad you're alright. I'll be waiting for the GoPro footage.

mattrowland 05-02-2014 03:45 PM

Here is the video.

tuchavito 05-02-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mattrowland (Post 1273086)
Here is the video.

Honda F4i Crash - YouTube

Ouch, glad you're "ok", good you had your gear on, but my man, you were riding too fast/too close to the truck, and as you can see in the video she hit her brakes once and then released them....sign that you should've slowed down, and then she braked again, you might have save it if you had swerved a little.

That's something that comes with experience and too many close calls, but never ride too close to cars, and practice some emergency braking so you don't lock your tire, anyway, heal fast my friend, and be careful, always assume everyone is trying to make you go down and ride accordingly.

Scott91370 05-02-2014 09:31 PM

Glad you're ok. That sucks.

For some reason I can't watch the video here or directly on you tube. Hopefully you'll both be up and going quickly.

74demon 05-02-2014 10:44 PM

Don't ride in the center of the lane. Either side gives you more vision ahead, less fluids on the pavement, and a way out of that situation. High profile vehicles make it hard to see in front of them, so try not to stay behind them. Make the pass and keep yourself in position to see the most of the surrounding area.

Learn from it and ride smarter next time.

Gopro makes a tough camera!

RoadiJeff 05-03-2014 06:01 AM

A red flag to slow way down would have been when the SUV first tapped its brake lights. It doesn't look like you did that, although you had enough time to do so. At least you didn't smack into it head-on.

What's the reason for the rest of the 2:14 length video? The first 25 seconds tells it all.

mattrowland 05-04-2014 11:24 AM

Ok I appreciate the constructive criticism from you guys... Just i few comments, I did see the car tap the brakes and I didn't react to it like I should have. For some reason my thought was "that was strange" but I didn't do much. Then it brakes hard. At that point my speed was way too fast coming in from behind and I was limited exiting on both sides. It was my fault as I should have taken the hint front he first brake light but it was one of those "why are we braking right through a green light"? Oh well.

Jeff- no reason for the extra crap on the video except I was lazy. You can see the lady still backing her car in a people honking at her which is funny. She looks at my bike and continues on.

tuchavito 05-04-2014 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by mattrowland (Post 1273228)
Ok I appreciate the constructive criticism from you guys... Just i few comments, I did see the car tap the brakes and I didn't react to it like I should have. For some reason my thought was "that was strange" but I didn't do much. Then it brakes hard. At that point my speed was way too fast coming in from behind and I was limited exiting on both sides. It was my fault as I should have taken the hint front he first brake light but it was one of those "why are we braking right through a green light"? Oh well.

Jeff- no reason for the extra crap on the video except I was lazy. You can see the lady still backing her car in a people honking at her which is funny. She looks at my bike and continues on.

My friend, just for the next time EXPECT people to do weird **** when driving, I mean, there are too many wtf situations, but it a lose lose situation for a bike, better be prepared, in the video is clear that the truck was slowing down (not braking,just desaccelerating)Before she tapped the brakes, it's obvious because the distance between you and the truck reduced, always keep your distance, alwaaaaays. And practice your emergency braking, and always be like "that car is about to do something stupid, I'd better keep my distance and be prepared", things like signalising a right turn but they make a left, brake too abruptly etc etc.