CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i comfort... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-comfort-96927/)

South 07-10-2009 09:24 AM

F4i comfort...

I'm looking at getting an F4i and was wondering what the comfort difference is between the banana and split seats.

I like the look of the split seats but you could always put a cowl on the back of the banana seat I suppose.

Any info much appreciated!

CbrKidd09 07-10-2009 10:31 AM

i recently purchased an F4i and i recommend going with the banana seat style because the split seat like i have is very uncomfortable for long rides or just buy an aftermarket seat

nor_cal_cbr 07-10-2009 10:35 AM

IMO the split seat looks soooo much better than the nanner...like Cbrkidd said you could always buy an aftermarket seat that is more comfortable if need be

South 07-10-2009 10:44 AM

Yea i forgot to mention that I've seen pics of aftermarket seats, on the split seat style bikes, that look pretty comfortable.

I'll be using it for commuting and just cruising around town but I would like to be able to ride for at least two hours.

I thought I read somewhere that the split seat is slightly higher than the other one tho?

Thanks for the replies!

gotcbr 07-10-2009 11:01 AM

For your stated purpose, I'd say *yes* the banana seat would probably suit you better.

I did the split seat subframe conversion on my 2000 F4 to better suit my purposes. However, I wouldn't say that the seat is necessarily more uncomfortable...just different. Then again, I also ride for hrs on an RC51 as well. ;-)

If you've found a deal on a particular banana seat F4i, then go ahead & get it. You can always do a split seat conversion later.

Good luck.

South 07-10-2009 11:04 AM

I think I'm just gonna get one with the split seat and get an aftermarket seat if it's unbearable...

yog182 07-10-2009 11:29 AM

Give your behind parts a chance to get use to the new seat. I went from a F4 to a split F4i and it took a few days of riding for a long time to get adjusted.. There was a point i was ready to go back to my F4 seat but its all good now.

johnnyx 07-10-2009 11:32 AM

I like the banana on my F3, cuz I can scoot my butt way back, lay no the tank, and just ride forever. I don't know how that is on an f4, but it looks significantly less comfortable.

nickels 07-10-2009 12:00 PM

i got the splits and i like it....had a f2 with the nanner seat and it was cool too

South 07-10-2009 12:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

More input is always appreciated tho!

cageless 07-10-2009 01:00 PM

i always ride right up to the gas tank and don't even use the rear of the seat so the banana extension of the seat would be useless to me. and IMO the banana seat ruins the look of the bike.

cbtrez 07-10-2009 01:37 PM

I have owned my 2000 CBR F4 for 9 years and the banana seat has alway been comfortable to me. It allows you to move around a bit so you dont stiff'en up. I just bought a 2008 Cbr1000rr, It is no where as near as comfortable as my F4. Im going to try out a better seat for the Cbr1000. :P
I am glad to have kept the F4. I can use it for long rides, while i use my CBR1000 rr for short rides/ cruising around town. Longest I've ever taken my F4 was like 400 miles in a streight shot. I will admit its not like a cruiser and it will eventually wear you out, so I have to take a frequent rest to shake out the stiffness.
On the CBR1000rr I doubt i can make it for a 150 Mile trip in its current comfort level.

K7inne09 07-10-2009 01:56 PM

IMO split seat looks waaaaay cooler although I have heard the banana seat is pretty comfy especially if you plan on having passengers... I have a split seat with an aftermarket and personally i dont ever really get uncomfortable ill ride around town for 3+ hours no problem...as far as passenger on the split...if they want to ride bad enough they can live with it. plus i like riding solo better anyways! although a little company every once in awhile is nice..

boredandstroked 07-10-2009 05:19 PM

Love my banana seat. Its comfy enough and I can cross my legs indian style on long distance rides, can't do that too well on a split seat. Besides, its an F4i, not a RR. Its ment to do everything well not just go fast. My passengers love it compared to other sportbikes.

South 07-10-2009 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 808132)
Love my banana seat. Its comfy enough and I can cross my legs indian style on long distance rides, can't do that too well on a split seat. Besides, its an F4i, not a RR. Its ment to do everything well not just go fast. My passengers love it compared to other sportbikes.

So would you not sacrifice your bike for a split seat style?
I can't imagine the comfort difference is THAT much. Also, if I was to just get a split seat F4i, I would just get used to that, as opposed to trying both, I assume.

dohcdelsol 07-10-2009 10:36 PM

all i just read was bannana splits... im hungry now

hahaha my nanner seat is very comfy. ive slept on the bike for a few hrs before. obviously not riding.

Uniqsol 07-11-2009 12:16 AM

I have the split seat model, and I have noticed that I usually have to get off after about an hour to an hour and a half. I have heard good things about this guy. He does re-padding and an LD (Long Distance) upgrade that is suppose to make the seat A LOT more comfy...with out spending alot of $$ on a Corbin seat. I am gonna send him my seat once winter comes and the bike gets put away.

Link: http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

SteveZabz 07-11-2009 01:34 AM

honestly i had the same exact problem.... wanted it for just rippin around town and what not...then my dad got a cruiser and i started cruising with him... spend the money... find a guy or ill send you ones number who memory foams them...i got my down for 65 bucks re-wrapped looks perfect and feel AMAZING!!!

Heston383 07-11-2009 02:49 AM

if ur looking for a good seat i just recently bought a corbin seat it wasnt cheap like 200 bucks but holy hell is it worth it so much more comfortable...plus u can get the pipping and the stitchin done in w/e color u want stylish and comfortable

lonestarballa 07-11-2009 11:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Like Heston said corbin is a bit pricey but they have top quality seats. Instead of the split seat and cowl, I got a corbin seat and trink. The seat so compfy and the trunk gives you so much space for storage.

Joey_f4i 07-11-2009 11:44 AM

If you decide to go split-seat and you find it a bit hard or uncomfortable, you can always buy a Sergeant or Corbin after market seat, they make quite a difference on longer rides.
IMO the split-seat is fine just as it is, and besides the looks, I think its as comfortable as any split-seat bike can be.

mike and ikes 07-11-2009 01:17 PM

:icon_hijack:

Joey, everytime I see your avatar I think of those reverse trikes motorcycles with one wheel on the back and two on the front. Both bikes in your avatar have a red front wheel cover so it looks like one of those weird bikes instead of two bikes side by side.

sorry for the hijack but this thread may be dead. :icon_deadhorse:

master icon user.....

Joey_f4i 07-11-2009 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mike and ikes (Post 808434)

Joey, everytime I see your avatar I think of those reverse trikes motorcycles with one wheel on the back and two on the front. Both bikes in your avatar have a red frond wheel cover so it looks like one of those weird bikes instead of two bikes side by side.

master icon user.....

nice thread jack!
lol, I had never seen it that way but its kinda true, I just never looked at it that way.
Like those Can-Am Spiders lolol!
I might update my avatar pic, might help the confusion ;)

xjoewhitex 07-11-2009 02:37 PM

Id say since ive been on both now I have an 04 thats converted, but the nana was alot softer and had a bit more room on it so its more for longer rides if you cannot handle the harder seat. If you want a way to see what the seat would feel like find a local dealer that sells R6's to me the front seat on both of these feel exactly the same... and I do think the split is a bit higher than the banana.

VTcbr 07-11-2009 09:48 PM

Corbins all the way!

Uniqsol 07-11-2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by mike and ikes (Post 808434)

Joey, everytime I see your avatar I think of those reverse trikes motorcycles with one wheel on the back and two on the front. Both bikes in your avatar have a red front wheel cover so it looks like one of those weird bikes instead of two bikes side by side.

master icon user.....

I think that exact same thing every time I see it...LOL

South 07-11-2009 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex (Post 808476)
R6's to me the front seat on both of these feel exactly the same... and I do think the split is a bit higher than the banana.

THIS is what I was looking for. Although I have yet to get my ass to a dealer and just sit on either bike, I'm sure I read somewhere that the split seat is slightly higher....

Anyways, I have no problem getting a corbin or sargent seat if need be.

boredandstroked 07-12-2009 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by South (Post 808216)
So would you not sacrifice your bike for a split seat style?

Nope. I use this bike for everything including 6hr+ rides and 45miles round trip to work everyday. Im going to add a 09 green/black 600RR eventually that will be a split seat but I'll put a cowl on the back. I dont need a passenger seat since it'll be my push the limits of fast bike. I'll still have my F4i to daily and do long distance/passenger riding in comfort.

Ryans CBR 07-12-2009 01:14 AM

I have the split seat (looks a million times better IMO), and I put on over 80 miles a day w/o a problem.

cbrnub 07-12-2009 02:27 AM

I have a split seat. The bananerr ones just look out of date or more touring oriented to me. Split FTW.

geckert 07-12-2009 02:48 AM

My bike is an 01 with the split seat and after doing almost 13 hours of off and on riding the other day I would not recommend doing it( 13 hours of riding ). I have the stock seat which really didnt help much since it really starts to get to my ass after about 2 hours, I am very skinny so I have no extra "padding" anywhere.

We took a trip from Pa to Va which was about 4 hours with a couple pit stops. We did about 3 hours of riding in VA then took the trip back. Now 2 days later I can still feel the pain LOL!. This was my first long trip also. Just a story i thought would be helpfull.

JOECBR600F4i 07-12-2009 11:31 AM

I have the banana seat and it is nice for the longer rides. I am usually ready to go on when my buddies want to stop evey hour or so of riding to "rest". Yeah their bikes look a little cooler but I bought mine to ride. :)
Also, we do a lot of two up riding and the wife said no to the flat split seat, sha hated it. To each thier own though, jut sharing our logic and experience.

Joey_f4i 07-13-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Uniqsol (Post 808597)
I think that exact same thing every time I see it...LOL

Dang! lol, Uniqsol, you too?

xjoewhitex 07-13-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by VTcbr (Post 808587)
Corbins all the way!

Can you explain the difference to me? Id love to get something a bit softer but don't want to fork out 300bucks for small improvement.

cbrv13 07-16-2009 10:50 AM

i myself prefer the bannana, i mean if allyour wanna do is stare at your cool lookin bike so that your not in pain after two hours of doin so, go ahead. My pops has a VFR with the corbin seat and it is simply heaven to sit on, and the great thing is that the more you ride on it, the more it shapes to your butt and therefore the more comfortable it becomes.
my .02, good luck.

Aken 07-16-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex (Post 809217)
Can you explain the difference to me? Id love to get something a bit softer but don't want to fork out 300bucks for small improvement.

Corbins aren't really softer (at least mine isn't), but they're shaped differently. Events out the pressure and contours to your ass.

LoneWolf04 07-21-2009 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Uniqsol (Post 808271)
I have the split seat model, and I have noticed that I usually have to get off after about an hour to an hour and a half. I have heard good things about this guy. He does re-padding and an LD (Long Distance) upgrade that is suppose to make the seat A LOT more comfy...with out spending alot of $$ on a Corbin seat. I am gonna send him my seat once winter comes and the bike gets put away.

Link: http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I sent my banana seat to this guy and had the LD option installed. He did great work and got it back to me quick! My dad rides a goldwing so he can sit on his for hours without needing a break, so this diffidently helps out a lot. I can easily put 300-400 miles on my bike in a day and actually walk off it and not fall over when i get off.

Like others have said. I bought my bike to ride it, not just take a quick run through town or on a twisty.

kukku 07-21-2009 03:05 AM

Banana seat for me. Will you be taking often a passenger with you? Apart from the fact that the banana rear is a bit roomier, it also comes with a grab rail which makes it easier for the pillion. True you can fit an aftermarket grab rail to the split, but personally I didn't like the idea.

kudosmog 07-21-2009 08:07 AM

I like the look of the split seat better, but my f4i has the bannana seat and after two 10 hour rides, I'm glad it does. Plus, when I ride with my fiancee I'm sure she appriciates it as well.