F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4I chattering rattling deceleration all rpm's video inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4I chattering rattling deceleration all rpm's video inside

obviously its about the sound, there is a few parts where the clutch was pulled in and it sounds near the same, but it is very evident in person.
even when the throttle is maintaining rpm's it does it a little, even if you can't hear it, the chattering is at 3k rpm as well.
i don't think it is vibrations, any idea's? the CCT should of been (was) replaced 1,500 miles ago.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM

mine kind of sound like that. except it isnt as bad as yours.
not sure what the problem is.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM

Check fairings and bolts for anything loose, I told someone earlier to check the V fairings. Mine was rattling around the Air intake port on the front.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by chute
Check fairings and bolts for anything loose, I told someone earlier to check the V fairings. Mine was rattling around the Air intake port on the front.
not only is that loose but its blatantly loose missing pushpins and all.
but this is the engine,
and it at the lower rpms which its hard to hear on video you can feel it.
i think i can describe it as this, if you have carburetors and they are out of sync it chatters. at least my two stroke did.
is anyone thinking valves or timing am i the only one?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Whats going on when your stationary ? Be nice to know if its to evident with the bike stopped. It only sounds normal when your on the gas. From what I can hear and see it comes in as soon as your NOT accellerating, even a split sec pause brings in the noise. Its like once the engine is off load there it is. Is it noisy at tick over, then gets quieter as you rev it ?..... Had another listen and it soundz a little like the timing chain slapping about in there.....mmmmm maybe ? Whats your chain guide like, slack chain and worn guide to swing` arm. Just throwing a few ideas at you sorry

Last edited by wes 17; 09-27-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: 2nd look at video
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM

i tried to replicate it and i couldnt.. it does this ALL the time except this afternoon.....
some thoughts on that, the bike never got above 185 or so, some of the noise is wind noise for sure. but i couldnt get it to chatter at all.
i have to fix the front forks so it will be a while before i can get further into this, so far it seems it only does it when its hot.
as of right now i can't tell if it does it in gear or not, i didnt take it fast but the 3krpm stutter never came up this test.
the chain guide on the swing arm? its not too bad i guess i just cleaned it, im not sure how tall it's supposed to be, i have no chain guard, and the chain may be a bit loose.
i'll slap myself if its a loose chain making all that noise. now do i measure it hot or cold...

Old 09-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

By the "chain guide" I meant the swing` arm rubber slide for the chain as it passes towards the front sprocket If its worn its metal to metal, (doubtful I think as you would have found that noise) . Is the clutch ok ? Nothing binding ? You said you cleaned the bike and now no noise, a strange one this !!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 PM

yeah sorry about that, the bike was clean before making all this noise, chain is good, clutch i dunno.. felt like it partially engaged when it was pulled in and i pushed the bike back, like i felt some resistance.
Sooooo.. tried multiple times to replicate this issue, and on one nice day it was great weather suprisingly no stop and go traffic and no bike temperature above 18whatever..
NEXT day, hot out, sucked, rode hit tempatures of 190+ and up to 200, bike was all pissed off about it and started making the said noise again.
today, went out cool weather no problem at all after a 40 minute ride, until . . . i got the revs up intentionally and it hit over 190.
guess who started to get all frumpy... obviously i didnt want to ride at 8krm down a 45mph road so i shifted, it got cooler, and happy.
i'll try to go out when its hot, hit the interstate something... maybe i should wire the fan to constantly run.
any ideas on this symptom for a hot engine?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Default My $0.02

well sir i really didnt read anything that anyone else said,,, but i can tell you this bro,, i stunt i know rattling,,, check ur Rad Fan the motors vibrations r making it hit the radiator
just my lmk

Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by RudyGT
rode hit tempatures of 190+ and up to 200, bike was all pissed off about it and started making the said noise again.
today, went out cool weather no problem at all after a 40 minute ride, until . . . i got the revs up intentionally and it hit over 190.
guess who started to get all frumpy... obviously i didnt want to ride at 8krm down a 45mph road so i shifted, it got cooler, and happy.
i'll try to go out when its hot, hit the interstate something... maybe i should wire the fan to constantly run.
any ideas on this symptom for a hot engine?

if u run ur fan like that i recomend a switch ,,, u control it,, fyi the f4i kinda runs on the warm side anyways,,, i have mine on a switch ( start bike with no fan,, get too operating temp and kick it on,,, if i hit real cool stretches i turn it off till i feel the bike again)

Quick Reply: F4I chattering rattling deceleration all rpm's video inside