CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i bucking when accelerating (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-bucking-when-accelerating-124420/)

95teggy 04-24-2011 07:12 PM

F4i bucking when accelerating

I just had the chain and sprockets replaced. When I try to accelerate faster than normal the bike starts to sputter and the FI light comes on. The tach also dips to zero then back up and down.
All this lasts about 2 seconds or so and then it rides normally until I decide to accelerate hard again.

Also at times when I come to a stop or if I brake hard, it'll the FI light will come on and the bike will die.

My bike idles around 1000-1100 when fully warmed.

Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? Could it be the mechanic messed something up while replacing the sprockets and chain?

I'm freaking out because I just spent $500 for the chain/sprockets and an oil leak fix.

F34Me? 04-24-2011 07:50 PM

$500?!?! What the hell did they do?

Why is your idle so low? I keep mine just under 2k and it seems to run best there. 1.5k or lower and it searches for a steady idle and causes hesitation problems. I reckon if you adjust your idle up it will solve your problem.

jeffjones 04-24-2011 08:00 PM

The manual says rpm's should be at 1200-1400.

Syphen 04-25-2011 10:02 AM

Sounds like you have a different problem that is entirely unrelated to your chain and sprocket. Sounds like a fueling issue. Almost like a major hesitation where one or more of the injectors isn't getting the fuel its demanding on request.

Junior2552 04-25-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Syphen (Post 1044202)
Sounds like you have a different problem that is entirely unrelated to your chain and sprocket. Sounds like a fueling issue. Almost like a major hesitation where one or more of the injectors isn't getting the fuel its demanding on request.

That's exactly what it is. You're fouling plugs/flooding the motor or it's not getting enough fuel, either one isn't good. Hesitation only happens with a fueling issue. Chains and sprockets aren't to blame here. If you just got the oil leak and everything else fixed, I would get the fuel system checked out. Pump, injectors, etc.

95teggy 04-25-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by F34Me? (Post 1043946)
$500?!?! What the hell did they do?

Why is your idle so low? I keep mine just under 2k and it seems to run best there. 1.5k or lower and it searches for a steady idle and causes hesitation problems. I reckon if you adjust your idle up it will solve your problem.

$80 for oil fix
$360 for chain/sprockets/labour
+insane canadian taxes

Also I tried turning up the idle by turning the little screw behind the left fairing but it wouldn't budge.

95teggy 04-25-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Junior2552 (Post 1044206)
That's exactly what it is. You're fouling plugs/flooding the motor or it's not getting enough fuel, either one isn't good. Hesitation only happens with a fueling issue. Chains and sprockets aren't to blame here. If you just got the oil leak and everything else fixed, I would get the fuel system checked out. Pump, injectors, etc.

It's just weird that the bike NEVER showed signs of this before I took it to the mechanic. and a day after he brought it back...it starts doing all this. Maybe it's a coincidence?

The oil leak was because the timing cover needed to be resealed, not sure if that has anything to do with this issue.

I guess I'll call him again and tell him to look at it.

Honda125 358 04-25-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 95teggy (Post 1044218)
$80 for oil fix
$360 for chain/sprockets/labour
+insane canadian taxes

Also I tried turning up the idle by turning the little screw behind the left fairing but it wouldn't budge.

Idk what kind of chain and sprockets you bought, but they must be made out of a gold/cocaine alloy. Damn.

F34Me? 04-25-2011 06:11 PM

He included labor in the price of the chain and sprockets. Figure $180 for the chain and sprockets and another $180 to install (and repair a leak in the timing cover? what the?) lube and tension.

95teggy 04-26-2011 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Honda125 358 (Post 1044492)
Idk what kind of chain and sprockets you bought, but they must be made out of a gold/cocaine alloy. Damn.

Originally Posted by F34Me? (Post 1044507)
He included labor in the price of the chain and sprockets. Figure $180 for the chain and sprockets and another $180 to install (and repair a leak in the timing cover? what the?) lube and tension.

EK gold chain and Aluminum sprockets (-1+2) = $270

labour = $80 to diagnose and reseal timing cover (oil leak) + $70 chain/sprockets

+ insane canadian taxes

= $480ish

Did I get ripped off? I was planning on taking the bike back to him again for the bucking problem