F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i - Anyone ever removed the Cylinder Head?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i - Anyone ever removed the Cylinder Head?

Hey guys,

I'm am currently in the process of removing my cylinder head, in order to get a spark plug hole heli-coiled. So far, I have finally gotten the engine completely out of the bike (after weeks of waiting for locknut wrenches).

Before I start tearing the engine open, I was wondering if anyone could give me any last minute advice. I do have the service manual, and I'm somewhat sure I can follow the directions. However, other than the stopper tool for the CCTL, is there any other special tools I am going to need? I'm planning on making my own stopper tool from a 1mm think piece of sheet metal and a dremel.

I just need to get the cylinder head off, with preferably, the least amount of disassembling possible. Do I need this Molybdenum Oil the service manual mentions? And is it absolutely necessary to get a new head gasket? (It's an 03' F4i with 4k miles)

Thanks for your time!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it many times. I would strongly suggest a new gasket but have used the old one in a pinch if it appeared in good shape. you could end up with a leak that would lead to damage though so if possible go new. Also I heli-coiled my old f4 without removing the head. drilled it slow so the filings stayed one piece and blew it out with an air compressor. rode it for years after with no problems.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As jonld suggested, get a new gasket. Its a minor expense for major prevention.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM

get a service manual..free at stephygee.com.

I wouldnt do it without one because it has the correct torque specifications listed, probably wouldnt be in this situation if everything was torqued to spec eh?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Place the engine at TDC before you pull the valvetrain. Then mark with a marker the location of all the pins and arrows on the cam sprockets and chain. Makes timing the motor a lot easier when you go to rebuild it.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by brveagle
Place the engine at TDC before you pull the valvetrain. Then mark with a marker the location of all the pins and arrows on the cam sprockets and chain. Makes timing the motor a lot easier when you go to rebuild it.
Thanks for the reply's everyone! The service manual says to put piston one in TDC, but doesn't say how to do it. Can you guys give me a quick explanation? Thanks for your time.

Also, what website can I order a new stock head gasket...can find em anywhere?

Last edited by zellster; 09-14-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 PM

Why are you taking the head off again? Just helicoil it with the head on it as jonld said. Just be mindful of the extra metal.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 PM

just rotate the crankshaft until the #1 cylinder's piston is as high as it will go. personally i always used a rachet or extension dropped in the spark plug hole, but id imagine there would be a mark on the flywheel. if you need TDCC, just do the same thing and make sure all the valves are closed while the piston is at TDC. ( cam lobes on camshaft should be pointing up or out, not down)

Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redzintimidator
get a service manual..free at stephygee.com.

I wouldnt do it without one because it has the correct torque specifications listed, probably wouldnt be in this situation if everything was torqued to spec eh?
I would love to know what spec you torque your spark plugs too, or did you just not read his post?

Originally Posted by zellster
Thanks for the reply's everyone! The service manual says to put piston one in TDC, but doesn't say how to do it. Can you guys give me a quick explanation? Thanks for your time.

Also, what website can I order a new stock head gasket...can find em anywhere?
Theres a mark on the rightside case and on the crank that has to be lined up. When it is the cam gears have and arrow that should be facing away from eachother and lined up flush with the valvecover/head surface. If the arrows are facing inward you need to rotate the crank again and re-align the crank mark. I still say heli coil without removing but to each there own. It's not that difficult but its also not something I do unless completely necessary. You should be able to get the gasket from ronayers, bikebandit, or servicehonda. I prefer servicehonda personally.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jonld
I would love to know what spec you torque your spark plugs too, or did you just not read his post?

Theres a mark on the rightside case and on the crank that has to be lined up. When it is the cam gears have and arrow that should be facing away from eachother and lined up flush with the valvecover/head surface. If the arrows are facing inward you need to rotate the crank again and re-align the crank mark. I still say heli coil without removing but to each there own. It's not that difficult but its also not something I do unless completely necessary. You should be able to get the gasket from ronayers, bikebandit, or servicehonda. I prefer servicehonda personally.
Thanks for all of the reply's everyone. I got the cylinder head off last night, and I took it to the shop today to get heli-coiled.

I have one more question for when I reassemble the engine. So before I took the engine apart, I set the crank/pistons at TDC. However, in the process of taking off the camshafts / chain and sprockets, it moved a bit off TDC. Does this matter at all? Because when I took of the head, I could see that the pistons had moved a bit.

So when I start to reassemble everything, this is what I plan to do:

1. Put the cylinder head on, and bolt it down.
2. Align the markings on the crank to get TDC.
3. Install the camshafts and sprockets at the proper locations according to the service manual.
4. Install the cam chain, and CCT
5. Recheck that the crank is at TDC, and the cam sprockets / camshafts are aligned properly.

Does this sound like the proper procedure? Thanks for the help guys, this is the first time I've taken an engine apart, and I don't want to mess anything up!

Quick Reply: F4i - Anyone ever removed the Cylinder Head?