F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i 2nd Gear issues

Old 04-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Default F4i 2nd Gear issues

So I'm having an issue with my 2004 F4i , it has 23k miles on it. I just recently purchased it back from the person I sold it to last year. He put 10 miles on the bike since it was sold to him and managed to drop it on both sides. Buttt, I was able to get it for a steal , 1500 bucks.

The bike sat in a garage for much of its life under new owner, same oil , same coolant, chain was never cleaned, etc

On the ride home I did however notice 2nd gear is having serious issues which is something it previously did not have. Every gear besides shifting 1st to 2nd is completely fine however 8 out of 10 times when attempting to shift up it simply will NOT catch 2nd. I am shifting up plenty hard into 2nd and not ***** footing it. Sometimes if I am super careful I can get it in without accelerating but most times I have no luck.

From my research I'm hearing potentially the shift fork is bent or the dog ears or worn but how in the hell could this guy have toasted the dog ears in 10 miles? I'm wondering if potentially it could be something as simple as clutch adjustment and an oil change? I am really REALLY not looking forward to splitting the case as I've never done it before butttt worst case scenario from what I understand the 04s allow you to access it from the clutch cover instead of splitting the case? Is this true?

any help would be appreciated !! Thank you guys

Old 04-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM

Start with an oil change. Many members have seen smoother shifts with fresh rotella t6.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
Start with an oil change. Many members have seen smoother shifts with fresh rotella t6.
thats what I was thinking, I've run that in every bike I've owned and always had good results , looking to start with my cheapest fix first . Thank you!

Old 05-01-2017, 02:17 AM

No need to split the case unless you're changing gear sets. Shift forks and drum, you just need to pull the clutch, headers, and oil pan to gain access. These gear boxes are kinda picky on oil, but I can't see it causing you this type of trouble. When you are able to get into 2nd, does it slip out of gear when you're heavy on the throttle?

Old 05-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011 View Post
No need to split the case unless you're changing gear sets. Shift forks and drum, you just need to pull the clutch, headers, and oil pan to gain access. These gear boxes are kinda picky on oil, but I can't see it causing you this type of trouble. When you are able to get into 2nd, does it slip out of gear when you're heavy on the throttle?
ok so even worst case scenario I should still be ok and as for it slipping , no, once it's in gear it stays in, i did a small test so see if it's harder to get in under load or not and it is completely random , I've been able to get it in effortlessly at 8-9k and then there's been times I couldn't get it in for **** coasting at 3k

Old 05-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Update : don't want to jinx myself but I took apart the shifter , wire brushed the shift star piece and adjusted the clutch, so far so good , granted I wasn't able to really get on the bike much but there is a marked improvement

Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 AM

i think every f4i has a less-than-straight 1-2 shift fork just because of how people ride them.

but look at the stunt boys that set a 5000+rpm idle and wham it in and out of second gear all day. these guys aren't missing shifts, and they aren't rebuilding transmissions. the f4i trans is insanely strong.

it's a very long throw to second gear. you say you're shifting it hard, but think about this.. it's not just hard that we're aiming for, it's complete travel of the shifter throw during gear engagement. every sequential trans is a bit different. try maintaining upwards pressure on the shifter until it actually engages, and once you're safe let 'er go. adjust your shift lever down a bit too, try about 1/8". it'll help.

i've had a truly broken f4i transmission before; just like sjona said. high mileage bike, ridden by noobs and stunted often. it made it into second then jumped out as soon as you put load on it... but only sometimes. sometimes it jumped into a totally different gear depending on its mood. sometimes 1st...sometimes neutral.. a few times 3rd.

... then one time it cracked out of 3rd gear at 14,000rpm in a corner and almost put me head first into a logging truck. so i swapped in my spare motor, which was from a totally hammered ex track bike that you'd figure would have all sorts of problems. haven't had trouble since.

one thing that really screws a transmission over that most people don't consider is chain condition, and chain slack. if your chain is too tight, it'll beat the crap out of your countershaft bearings, etc. eventually there will be play, and gear engagement will suffer. i've seen bikes that had their shifting problems fixed with a bit of chain lube and an extra inch of chain slack.