CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   f4i 2001 fuel pump leak (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-2001-fuel-pump-leak-153785/)

bill9000 08-21-2015 09:38 AM

f4i 2001 fuel pump leak

Hey all :) I just am in the process of putting my bike back together after having the fuel tank painted (doing a whole new body) -

I bought a brand new OEM gasket for the fuel pump to seat to the tank... but I cannot get it to stop leaking gas... am I supposed to put anything on it? I would guess silicone would get eaten by the gas and it'd still leak?

thanks in advance for any help.

Super bummed I can't get this fixed... brand new body pieces, beautiful new paint... and can't get the leak to stop... which renders the bike useless :(

74demon 08-21-2015 10:56 AM

That seal goes on dry.
Make sure that the sealing surfaces (module side too) are free of paint or anything else that would interfere with good sealing.

Is the pump assembly bolts bottoming out before the seal? You may need to give each "nut" on the tank a little tap so they allow the seal to compress.

bill9000 08-21-2015 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1290922)
That seal goes on dry.
Make sure that the sealing surfaces (module side too) are free of paint or anything else that would interfere with good sealing.

Is the pump assembly bolts bottoming out before the seal? You may need to give each "nut" on the tank a little tap so they allow the seal to compress.

Thanks for the reply!
I dont believe they are bottoming out, no... I didn't do them in the sequence that I now see online in the .pdf manual I downloaded...

it seemed to be leaking around those little nub pieces of rubber that go through the flange... (why those exist, I have no idea)

would it hurt anything to add some sealant around it? to help ensure not to leak if I try it again? even though it's supposed to be dry?

Gasket Sealants : Permatex® PermaShield? Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant

also, I have a huge question about seeing now in the manual its supposed to be 9 ft lbs tight? they can't be serious about that right? I mean that's like finger tight? it'd vibrate loose going down the road, within 5 miles, no?

the biggest concern I have now, is that even if I were to get it to stop leaking, how can I ever trust it to use the bike for commuting? that it will just start leaking again? very bummed out here.

I appreciate your help.

74demon 08-21-2015 12:06 PM

The nubs are there to hold the seal in place. Did you give them a pull with a pliers to lock them in?

Make sure your flange is clean.....

bill9000 08-21-2015 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1290928)
The nubs are there to hold the seal in place. Did you give them a pull with a pliers to lock them in?

Make sure your flange is clean.....

sure did pull them through... (didn't know if I was supposed to or not, but it appeared so.)

and it seems like its leaking through those holes...
would it hurt anything to put some sealer around that?

I really appreciate your help.

bowflexmaverick 08-21-2015 12:13 PM

I just barely put a new gasket in mine as well and was leaking until A) I put the Fuel pump in the correct way B) pushed the little gasket lip on the inside by the metal filter all the way in and made sure that nothing was obstructing the gasket to completely seal on the tank, as well as the inside of the fuel pump housing.

bill9000 08-21-2015 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by bowflexmaverick (Post 1290931)
I just barely put a new gasket in mine as well and was leaking until A) I put the Fuel pump in the correct way B) pushed the little gasket lip on the inside by the metal filter all the way in and made sure that nothing was obstructing the gasket to completely seal on the tank, as well as the inside of the fuel pump housing.

thanks for the reply, by 'the correct way', do you mean not rotated 180 degrees? since its an oval type shape?

I couldn't see which way it was supposed to go as far as that goes, but is seems the high pressure hoses and what not only really fit one way, they'd be stretched if it was 180 degrees out (I think?)

thanks for your help!
I really appreciate it.

bowflexmaverick 08-24-2015 11:03 AM

Correct, It did stretch out the hoses a little bit, and the only reason I did it that way was due to someones guide to installation that did it wrong....