F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

eye off the ball

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default eye off the ball

I see most of you are from all over the states but this is written from over the Atlantic from a little place called Wales. I`m English. We have some awsome roads to ride here. When its not raining that is. A cbr 900rrs in Smokey joes is my ride, and had her for 10ish yearz.
Anyway, "eye off the ball", .......we have had an exceptional good few months of sunshine ( the mrs has been moanin her head off about the amount of fuel I go through ) and its been work and ride non stop and now the weather has just started to drop off a little.
I realised how important is was to keep a good eye on the bike last night.

I had already taken my rear caliper apart for some maintenance as she seemed to be binding. Very slight noise pushing it in and out of my garage. A touch of the peddle and it would instantly go. Anyways.....cleaned etc...no diff`........again with seals....no diff...... All this time I`m actually riding it between tear downs. Some will say I`m wrong for that but the brake seemed to have perfect functionality as soon as I pulled away.

Last night I was giving her a good clean and something caught my eye. I run Goodridge hoses and decided I needed to take off the brake line retainer on the swing arm to clean properly. I did not expect to find a slightly kinked brake line.........not sure how you do that and can only offer that I`ve done it during wheel removal at some stage....trying to line up the caliper etc. It might only be slight, but obviously needs replacing. It just goes to show....we think we have checked everything and all know our bikes, but theres nothing like a proper clean everywhere to highlight the need for a proper good look over our machines regulary. I know I wouldn`t like to go pouring into a nice twisty section without a rear brake at my disposal. Like I said, I would normaly spend more time in the garage but the weather has been screaming "ride" at me.

By all means lets all have fun out there but lets make sure we keep on top of something other than the missus. That should also include a clean helmet hahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa for her.

Laterz

Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for sharing Wes,

You can never be too careful with maintenance.

Cheers, SB