CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Extra HP,sound, & power commander question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/extra-hp-sound-power-commander-question-89160/)

CBR_SLIM_T 03-14-2009 12:21 AM

Extra HP,sound, & power commander question

If you happened to see my previous thread, I've been doing some mods to my bike over the past few weeks, and so far I feel I'm on the right track. I'm happy with everything I've done so far. I started off with an estimate on how much I would spend on upgrades and mods, and at this point I still have about a thousand bucks to spend on the bike.
I think I've basically reached the "look" I wanted for the bike. So now I'm looking to add a some extra horse power, and possibly a little more "sound" ( in addition to the two bro's slip on ) . The two bro's sounds great! I really love the way it sounds at idle. But I wouldn't mind having a little more sound.. I'd like the bike to be a little louder when i get down on the throttle. Any suggestions?

I want to order the K&N air filter, but is it really worth the $50-$60? And also, can I expect any sound improvement with this filter?

I've done some reading about the power commander, but i'm still not sure exactly what I can expect from it, and how difficult it is to "work" with. What are the benefits of the power commander? From the little research I've done, in short, what I can understand is that it basically "fine tunes" everything. Can someone explain the purpose of the power commander in a little more detail for me? And if someone that has a Power commander could give me an idea on what kind of improvement I can expect, I'd really appreciate it. Will it be a noticeable improvement in power? And if so, will it give me more power on the low end, or the high end? Or both/either? Would you guys consider a power commander a "plug and play" mod?

Any help will, as always, be appreciated!

Liquidpjear 03-14-2009 02:52 AM

A power commander just gives you the ability to fine tune your bike's fuel delivery. Any time your change your exhaust, and to some extent other mods, you change the way your bike performs. Usually after adding performance parts you will notice a deadzone or lag somewhere in your powerband. This is because your ECU can only adjust within certain parameters resulting in your running rich or lean. In almost every application I have seen a new exhaust will result in your bike running rich. A power commander allows you to make adjustments to smooth out your power band and get the most power out of your mods. That being said, unless you are doing other mods a PC is not going to net you much. However, if you have an aftermarket exhaust and you are thinking about a K&N then a PC will help you get the most out of it. As a side benefit it may improve your MPG if you are running rich now. There are tons of preconfigured maps for the PC based on what mods you have. You will need to take it to a reputable tuner to get the most out of it.

On another note, more sound? really? Most 2 Bros pipes I have heard were pretty loud. I consider my exhaust to be pretty tame but even it can cause an annoying drone at above 6-7k. Dont get me wrong I love the sound of my bike but I ride it enough that i wouldn't want it to be much louder.