F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Exhaust Rearended ! HELP ! PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Rearended ! HELP ! PICTURES

A friend of mine has an F4i, 250 miles on it. She got rear ended . *******'s fault , he admited , he wasn't payin' any atention to the road + he was fatiqued . Long story , short: The muffler took the initcial impact since it's the most sticking out part of the bike + the "landing gear" for the license plate. yeah . Obviously the muffler itself is up for an exchange, I'm worried about the nr1. pipe being damadged from the impact from behind. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary, but can you really there isn't something wrong when there can be? It's a brand new bike 4f's sakase. I'm telling her the stradegy should be to push the insurance for
everything that was hit .Any sugesggestions, simmilar experiences ? Can the pipe be damadged ? She like the stock exaust cuz it's quiet and more comfortable to bare on the long journies . Maybe just get a Yosh it's also shorter. How to KEEP PPL OF YOUR REAR ? BETTER LIGHT ? LOUD MUFFLER ? I had RS-3 on my other bike , that didn't prevent somebody to get too close to me either. Thanx a lot !!!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Default RE: Exaust Rearended ! HELP !

I had a little bit of trouble understanding your post, but from what it sounds like, the muffler is bent out of shape, but still works. Is that right?

Also, you said that your friend likes the sound of the stock pipe -- that's no problem at all. All you need to do is go to ebay and buy a new stock pipe. People replace their stock pipes all the time and sell them on ebay for dirt cheap. You can probably pick one up for 10-30 bucks + shipping.

Did your friend have full coverage insurance? A lot of times, an insurance company will total out a bike for being dropped (i'm guessing that's what happened here, since it sounds like the bike was tipped over from someone backing into it). Often, they'll also give you the option of buying the bike back at a discounted price. Make sure she at least files a claim to see what the insurance company will do. But again, if all that is damaged is the pipe, she could just replace it with another stock pipe from ebay. In fact, she could actually make money off of her bike being tipped over -- if the insurance totals it out and sells it back to her for less than what it actually costs to fix it, she pockets the cash left over. That's what happened to my wife's car.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Default RE: Exaust Rearended ! HELP ! PICTURES

Sorry for not being clear the first time. The pix should tell the story a whole lot better The bike wasn't dropped. The Muffler got hit and the license plate section + rear footpeg holder . I'm not a mechanic but something tells me the exhaust header should be replaced as well, I'm sure it suffered as well from the impact. What you think ?

Old 08-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Hmmm I would say that headers are fine!!! I mean from the pics the it looks like the pipe bent and not the whole exhaust system!!! I mean if you wanna play it safe...there are always people selling stock headers and pipes if you want to be the safe side...

Old 08-12-2007, 12:32 AM

I have a stock exhaust, complete, headers and pipe that I will sell for a good price if you want to shoot me a PM.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:11 AM

philnyc, does your friend have insurance? if she does, heres what i would do. file the claim, and the insurance company should take the bike to a shop to have it inspected. they will definitely replace everything thats obviously broken, which seems like the muffler, right passenger peg, and possibly mudflap. when they put the new muffler on, they should be able to tell if there is any damage to the headers at all. you could tell if it was damaged - it wouldnt line up or bolt onto the bike correctly. so therefore if it is bent, it will be fixed.

now if your friend doesnt have insurance, you would need to buy a new right passenger peg and muffler to see if there is any damage to the header. i would look on ebay or the classifieds here like the others have said, you can usually find these parts pretty cheap. then install the new parts, and if the exhaust doesnt line up, then the header is probably bent and you could pick up one of those on ebay for pretty cheap as well.

let us know what the case is and how it goes. hope that helps!
________
LINCOLN K-SERIES HISTORY

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 AM

Axsys,She's taking a bike to the honda stealership shop this morning. We'll see what they say about the headers. She does have an insurance ,but since it wasn't her fault , that guy's liability will pick up the tab.
Thank you for the interest and replys, I'll keep you guys updated on the events.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM

I would have them replaced regardless. Hell even if the arent bent its still better to be safe than sorry. An insurance company is going to think the whole exhaust needs replacing anyways. They are pencil pushers not mechanics.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:14 AM

funny, same thing happened to me...

Name:  1111.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  30.3 KB

insurrance isnt gonna pay to replace the headers so i wouldnt try

Old 08-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JVracer04