F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Exhaust prices... RANT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust prices... RANT

WTF warrants companies to charge $300-$500 for a slip on muffler. Jesus, is there gold in it?

Its just freaking metal? There is no way it should cost so much...

Even bootleg gets $250

I am in the wrong business

Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Exhaust prices... RANT

It's all about supply and demand my friend, there is a high demand for it, and an almost unlimited supply they can charge however much they want cuz they know you will still buy it. It sucks but that's how a lot of things go.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: whtan20

It's all about supply and demand my friend, there is a high demand for it, and an almost unlimited supply they can charge however much they want cuz they know you will still buy it. It sucks but that's how a lot of things go.
LOL Bad example of supply and demand...

Low supply and High demand is what you are suppose to be talking about...

There are huge, overflowing supplies.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: whtan20

LOL... good to see you know what you are talking about....lol

Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 PM

whtan20- Something tells me you're not a business owner.

sharker98- Cost of materials, R&D, tooling.....the price usually comes down after the inital cost is offset or as a particular bike ages.

Then there's supply and demand....if you have a high supply and lots of demand, apparently they can charge whatever they want...LOL.......it sucks but that's how it goes....apparently.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Retired Moderator

It is what the market will bear. If you have a good product that you cannot keep in stock no matter what you do...it is probably too cheap. If you have a good product that sits on the shelf and collect dust...it is probably too expensive. They understand that ******** like me are willing to pay $400-$500 for a fart can. The price is so highbecause people keep buying them at that price.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:33 AM
Banned

It is what the market will bear.
It is amazing what people will pay for extra noise and a chance to reduce performance.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 AM

bergs hit alot of it, not only thesupply and demand. but you are paying for R&D.....KNOWLEDGE...ease of purchase.

poeple dont always understand, they are paying for the knowledge and skill. Do you think you could build a pipe like that, that looks that good, and works, for under that price? You would have to buy all the raw materials, tools, do all the research on exhuast resonance, and blah, blah, blah. The average person cant do that, so they pay someone else for the work; people dont realize it, buttheyare also paying a "convenience" fee that allows them to simply click a button, and viola! a slip on shows up on your front porch 3 days later. Its not magic, your paying every poor saps paycheck that has to touch that pipe for it to magically show up at your door.

Same thing goes for my profession, I run a service team that works on automation equipment. The call us out for a problem, a guy walks up to the machine, watches it run for hopefully about 1 min, then reaches in his pocket pullsout a screw driver, gives some adjuster a quarter turn and fixes it.
Then turns around and tells the customer that will be $240 plus mileage to your account.

customer always says "well I could have done that!" then why didnt you? you do not have the knowledge,experience, expertise, or the screwdriver to do it.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: krash

bergs hit alot of it, not only thesupply and demand. but you are paying for R&D.....KNOWLEDGE...ease of purchase.

poeple dont always understand, they are paying for the knowledge and skill. Do you think you could build a pipe like that, that looks that good, and works, for under that price? You would have to buy all the raw materials, tools, do all the research on exhuast resonance, and blah, blah, blah. The average person cant do that, so they pay someone else for the work; people dont realize it, buttheyare also paying a "convenience" fee that allows them to simply click a button, and viola! a slip on shows up on your front porch 3 days later. Its not magic, your paying every poor saps paycheck that has to touch that pipe for it to magically show up at your door.

Same thing goes for my profession, I run a service team that works on automation equipment. The call us out for a problem, a guy walks up to the machine, watches it run for hopefully about 1 min, then reaches in his pocket pullsout a screw driver, gives some adjuster a quarter turn and fixes it.
Then turns around and tells the customer that will be $240 plus mileage to your account.

customer always says "well I could have done that!" then why didnt you? you do not have the knowledge,experience, expertise, or the screwdriver to do it.

Very well said, just like a computer etc you are not exactly paying for just materials and labor, but for research and development as well as paying to run a business. I am sure they make a profit at the end of the day, but after everything I can bet it isn't massive profit even though the price seems high for some material shaped into an exhaust pipe. My simple solution, use craigslist or ebay if you want a pipe as one will always show up in great shape for half price.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 AM

Or better yet, check the cbrforum.com classifieds!

Quick Reply: Exhaust prices... RANT