F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Exhaust Leak: What To Do? (Pic)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Leak: What To Do? (Pic)

As you may know, I recently installed a M4 Carbon High Mount exhaust. I love it but I've found a problem; Exhaust is leaking out from the holes used to mount the can to the bracket that connects to the subframe. You can see in the picture the bracket the muffler mounts to. It is where the passenger peg should be. Well, I was taking a look around while the bike was warming up this morning and heard the distinct sound of an exhaust leak. I felt around and there it was coming right from the bolts holding the can on. It doesn't seem to be an extreme leak but it bothers me.

Questions:

Will this hurt performance?
Any ideas how to fix it?
Do you like my bike?

I bought it from pipecity and there website says they won't accept exchanges if the piece has been installed. I haven't called either company. My thoughts are that it may not really affect performance because it's leaking from the can. When I get home from work I'll probably take it off and have a closer look. Thoughts?

Name:  DSC00168-2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  48.1 KB

Last edited by DBEAU; 05-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

it shouldnt hurt ur perfoamance if its just a small leak... u could a high heat rvt... that prolly your best bet... bike looks good man.... +1 from me

Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 AM

I was thinking along those same lines. See, the threads are molded into the carbon fiber on the back there. I wouldn't have thought there would be access to the exhaust channel from the bolts. Seems kind of amateur hour. But yeah, I think packing the area around the threads with some rvt would help. I'm more of a fix-it-up-chappy so I'd rather not return it and not be able to ride for weeks if I can just fix it.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM

they have very minor access to the exhaust channel.... but apparently enough to cause a leak... my buddys shop has industrial strength rvt for gen sets... when it gets hot it gets hard like a weld... its pretty ba... but im sure walmart high temp rvt would work just fine for a bike

Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Man that sure looks sharp !! Like Z said, rtv or even JB weld for a more permanant ghetto rig lol. Can you still use your back sets with that exhaust system ? I thought I saw a pic of a F4i with the M4 high mount with the rear sets still in place. I really like the looks of that system !! Any more pics, maybe of the back ?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Indiana
Man that sure looks sharp !! Like Z said, rtv or even JB weld for a more permanant ghetto rig lol. Can you still use your back sets with that exhaust system ? I thought I saw a pic of a F4i with the M4 high mount with the rear sets still in place. I really like the looks of that system !! Any more pics, maybe of the back ?

u can still use ur rear sets as long as you buy spacing sleeves and longer bolts for the right side to space the pass peg to the outside of the can...

and i agree looks sharp

Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Ya they look like this when done. Like Z said spacers and longer bolts

Name:  P5250088.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  P5250087.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  99.9 KB

Damn my bike is dirty in these pics lol

Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by boomer1
Ya they look like this when done. Like Z said spacers and longer bolts
+1

and

nice feet

lol jp

Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM

The spacers and everything to retain the passenger pegs came with the exhaust. I never ride with a passenger and didn't really like the look of the peg sticking out there so I opted to mount without them.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by DBEAU
The spacers and everything to retain the passenger pegs came with the exhaust. I never ride with a passenger and didn't really like the look of the peg sticking out there so I opted to mount without them.

+1 im married and the wife refuses to get on a motorcycle (and lord knows im not riding any other women)... so i removed my back seat too lol

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak: What To Do? (Pic)