F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ex circuit tyre's or just regular new one's?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ex circuit tyre's or just regular new one's?

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. At the moment my bike has a Bridgestone BT021 with dot code from 2007. I'ts an old, hard tyre which ride's like ****. Therefore i want to change it but i'm doubting between the following two choices.

1. An ex circuit tyre (Pirelli supercorsa's) with enough profile to last a few thousand km's.

2. A brand new Michelin Pilot Power.

Are there any other riders here who ride an ex circuit tyre on the road?

P.s. sorry if my english sucks!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race tires are designed to operate at temperatures that you won't reach in regular street riding. You will get better results from a street tire.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM
July 2008 ROTM

The Supercorsa is a nice tire, plenty capable on the streets and track. The question is, what kind of riding do you do? The Supercorsa is an expensive and great tire, but you won't use much of its potential on the street, and it will suck in the rain or any adverse weather.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the Supercorsa SC, which is a street legal race tire, or the Supercorsa SP, which is more of a dual purpose track and street?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prices matter, too. We need more details.

Oh, and your english is good. Better than Sprock's.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I've never been a fan of track take offs that are already worn out and crappy being used on the street where they wouldn't even perform properly when new and in good shape. Can it be done? Of course, people do it every day. But I wouldn't.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 AM

I'm talking about the supercorsa SC which will cost about €40/50

Whereas the Michelin wil cost €100/110

The kind of riding i do, im riding only for the hobby so when it rains i stay home! My driving style i would consider sporty. I'm not Valentino rossi but i can make a decent enough turn

Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Half worn race tire for half price of the new street tire for riding on the street.....
Think about it for a minute.

Get the new set of powers and enjoy the feel of new tread.

The race tires will wear out faster too. Then you will be paying for mounting again very soon.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM
July 2008 ROTM

There's nothing wrong with race-used tires so long as they aren't numerous track days old, and they aren't a strictly-race slick or similar kind of tire.

Really, the option is up to you. It's a DOT legal tire so you can ride it on the street, but it will have more race qualities (softer, different heat times, etc.). It will not last long (pre-used and soft compounds). But it will perform very nicely while carving canyons, and it's cheap. New Michelin's will last you much longer, and be good performers in lots of conditions, including canyon dancing.

So it's really on you. They both have pros and cons.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
There's nothing wrong with race-used tires so long as they aren't numerous track days old, and they aren't a strictly-race slick or similar kind of tire.

Really, the option is up to you. It's a DOT legal tire so you can ride it on the street, but it will have more race qualities (softer, different heat times, etc.). It will not last long (pre-used and soft compounds). But it will perform very nicely while carving canyons, and it's cheap. New Michelin's will last you much longer, and be good performers in lots of conditions, including canyon dancing.

So it's really on you. They both have pros and cons.
I totally agree with you, and i'm gonna take a shot. Since i'm already familiar with the michelins it's time to try something new!

Got them at a low price, so it doesn't hurt as much if it doesn't work out.

Thx anyway!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ex circuit tyre's or just regular new one's?