CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Engine tick when hot after valve adjustment (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/engine-tick-when-hot-after-valve-adjustment-152804/)

thewayup 09-27-2014 09:29 AM

Engine tick when hot after valve adjustment

Hi everyone,

Wondering if you could give me some advice re. A cbr600f4i (f6). I recently adjusted the valves, all the intakes were tight (just on tolerance at 0.17, cylinder 2 was at 0.14) and all the exhaust were perfectly in clearance (0.28). I re-shimmed those that were out so the intakes are now 0.20 (apart from cylinder 2 which is at 0.17). So according to my measurements they are all within spec (done twice).

Problem is I now hear a gentle-ish tick in line with the revs coming from the front of the engine when the bike is hot (80c -100c). I left the cam chain tensioner in the bike while checking the clearances and removed it only when I removed the cams in order to re-shim. The Haynes manual states to remove the CCT BEFORE checking the clearances, however. This seems wrong as it could cause the cam chain to jump a tooth or two.

I can only hear the noise when the bike is hot, it increases in speed in line with the revs and certainly wasn't there before.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Conrice 09-27-2014 10:21 AM

You're not going to jump a tooth turning the motor by hand with no tension on the chain. The reason they say to do it before hand is because there is no lubrication happening when you turn it by hand and the hydraulic tensioner has max tension on the chain which is worse for the guides. But in no way should this ruin your tensioner.

Anyways, it's really hard to diagnose a tick not in person. Is it an honest tick, or is it more of a rattle?

thewayup 09-27-2014 12:18 PM

Hi there, thanks for that. Yes it's definitely a tick, sounds like a fluttering at higher revs, but not a knock.

I suppose I ask because as I left the CCT in while checking the clearances, could that have given a false reading? (I'm sure it wouldn't ruin the tensioner), just whether doing it this way would give a false reading of the clearances.

Thanks again

sjona2011 09-27-2014 08:04 PM

sounds like the same issue i have on mine, and had on my f3.
what oil are you using? i didnt notice mine till i put shell rotella t6 in her.

thewayup 09-28-2014 07:05 AM

Hi, i'm using castrol power 4t 10w40. The recommended for this bike. I didn't do an oil change after the valve adjustment, could that be a culprit?

Conrice 09-28-2014 08:24 AM

No, as long as you have enough oil in there.

TBH, valves really don't make a "tick". I'm not sure why so many people say this, I think it's kind of misnomer that comes from the car world (pushrods and lifters). Unless something is extremely wrong with the valves, like a loose retainer (and you're on the brink of dropping a valve), they won't make an audible noise over everything else that's happening in the engine.

And, in answer to your question - No, measuring with the CCT in will not affect your measurements.

Is there any possible way you can get a video of it on your phone and post it?

"A" 09-28-2014 10:00 AM

Loud valves = happy valves.. It's when they get quiet you need to worry.

sjona2011 09-28-2014 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by "A" (Post 1281533)
Loud valves = happy valves.. It's when they get quiet you need to worry.

thats a good point since the OP said all his were tight before the adjustment.
also reminds me of a vf500f i had, with the valves properly adjusted that thing sounded like a damn sewing machine.

thewayup 09-28-2014 01:42 PM

Thanks for the responses. In that case, why does the haynes and the OEM manual state that the CCT must be retracted when measuring the valves? It's only really audible while moving (very noticable actually while moving), I will try to get a video and post in the next couple of days. It sounds like a tick at low revs and as i increase them it's so fast it sounds like a tick/flapping sound. Coming from the front of the tank.

Performance is good. Could it be that one of the oil holes on the camshaft is blocked?

thewayup 09-30-2014 02:12 PM

Also, on start up the revs rise to 3k (they use to use to 2k), and then drop down to 1200. Seems strange. The bike then proceeds to head up MUCH quicker than usual, when cruising it used to rise to 75 Degrees and stay there, now it's more around 80. When stopped at a light it rises VERY quickly up to 90-100.