F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Engine Swap, high idle, smoky

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap, high idle, smoky

Hey everyone, Long time listener... first time caller

Anyways, I just got 'done' with an engine swap on my 01 F4i and I seem to be having a few problems. First off, the original engine did not have an evap canister, even though its a CA model. Im assuming the original owner took it off when he put the Power Commander III on there. Anyway the new engine I put back on had it on there and I decided to leave it because I didnt want to deal with the re routing of vacuum tubes.

I finally got the air box and fuel tank back on today, as well as the complete wire harness all hooked back up and the engine fired up first time, despite having sit for 2 years, it also has 14k on it... dont know if that matters, I also put in new radiator fluid, oil and oil filter... but i digress. It started right up but the RPM went up to about 3k, then up to 4. As operating temperature went up the bike started smoking a bit, mostly off of the exhaust headers though so Im assuming that's the grease burning off of it for now, but I was also getting a bit of smoke out of the exhaust pipe as well.. Could that be from re oiling the KNN air filter?
Does the PCIII along with the evap system have anything to do with the high idle? Im going to keep searching through all of the forums but if anyone has any ideas or could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Regards
Eric

Old 10-21-2011, 01:58 AM

as some of the other threads suggested, I made sure I have a little bit of play in the throttle cable, the butterfly valves do not seem to be sticking, I tried turning the idle speed screw, but I read two conflicting posts on which way to turn it, regardless it didnt seem to do anything... Thats all I can think of for now. Hopefully I can get this solved by the end of the weekend.
Thanks for your help!
Eric

Old 10-21-2011, 04:57 AM

The high idle you are referring to, I take it, is when you first start the bike from a cold engine. If so, that is normal, it will idle around 3k until the engine is warmed up, you will notice on the temp gauge the "--" reading. Between 97 and up to around 120 degrees, the engine speed should lower on its own gradually until it gets to about 1,300 rpms.

As far as the smoke, it's possible the headers could be buning something off, did you get grease or oil on them? You could have a leaking gasket and it could be burning off the engine and you are seeing it in the area of the headers. If it is a slow leak, it may be burning off before it hits the ground and that is why you are not seeing a puddle on the ground from sitting.

Try pulling off the fairings, grab a flashlight and see if you notice any oil drips on the engine, after it has been sitting and the engine is cold.

Good luck. I'm not an expert by any means, and am only offering my ideas. There are plenty of more highly qualified people on here to give you better advice.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Thank you for your response. I will have to check but last time it got up to about 150* and was still sitting at about 3k idle speed. The smoke was coming from all over the headers, not one particular area, but like I said, I just did an oil/filter change, so I could have gotten some extra oil on there.

What could be causing the extra smoke out the exhaust?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

did you plug the vacuum port that would go to the evap can? when you swap motors, it sometime will smoke for a bit until it burns out all of the moisture, gunk, and oil residue inside the motor. how long did you have it running for?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Yeah, as far as I can tell I got everything hooked back up correctly for the evap can. When both of the engines were out, i couldn't easily see how to get rid of that huge *** vacuum tube going up to the little 5 way so I just ended up leaving everything. I didnt leave it running for that long as it was idling high and I didnt want to damage anything...
Eric

Old 10-21-2011, 11:47 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Can you ride the bike? If so I would ride it around the block a few time and see if that does anything. It idling at 3, 4 or 5K is high but you are not going to hurt anything. Redline is 14,200 so you got a long way to go before you start to damnage anything. And even if it does nothing you at least got to ride it

Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 AM

check the coolant level now that it has run. the wax unit needs to see coolant temp to bring down the idle.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:57 PM

HOLY S#*t that was trippy! As I was typing this post I was letting the bike idle... temp and RPM kept climbing... from 3K-4K then 4.5, temp climbed till about 180 then bam, right back down to 1.5K. Fan came on... looks like its good to go. Im going to attach the tank, seat and take it for a test ride!
Thanks for the advice guys

Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Check the coolant level now that the thermostat has opened....

Quick Reply: Engine Swap, high idle, smoky