CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Engine Ice Coolant (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/engine-ice-coolant-117816/)

Dodgehemi7 10-19-2010 09:24 AM

Engine Ice Coolant

Have any of you guys ever used engine ice coolant. I was wondering if it is worth the money or not. Its around $22 for a half gallon. I know alot of people use it on the dirt bikes but havent heard anything about street bikes.
I tried the search function but came up with a couple hundred pages and gave up after about 15 pages of threads.

Thanks

hondajunkie 10-19-2010 01:56 PM

I started using it this year after getting tired of switching out water to coolant twice a year (spring/fall) for track use.
You use it straight,no water need if I recall correctly andU use the the full 1/2 gallon.
Havent had any problems with it so far.
Definitely worth it for me.

Dodgehemi7 10-20-2010 09:04 AM

Did you notice your bike running any cooler? I like the idea that you dont have to switch for track use too.

ButkoF4i 10-20-2010 11:54 AM

i have engine ice in mine..i love it..im down here in ATL so this past summer was a hot one and yeah the bike did get hot wen i got off highway and onto surface streets but while riding my bike stayed around high 160's low 170's.i bought 2 of the and just filled it up and then capped off resivor. i got them for about 22 a bottle as well..just be sure to drain out ALL old coolant and not mix the two coolants. I flushed mine 4 times before i noticed no more green in the water. im all for it!

nickels 10-20-2010 12:04 PM

i run engine ice. Keeps it cool here in Tn but my fan is on a switch and i turn it on when the temp hits around 210 so i never have a problem. It only goes up that high red light to red light. Riding around it runs around 180-185 bcuz thats where the thermostat kicks in.

If you are having a problem with keepin your bike running cool enough then you might have an air pocket in the system. You can "burp" the rad. Start it with the radiator cap off and when it starts to almost over flow you turn it off and let it bubble and get air out. Simple. Dont let it overflow and you wont waste fluid.

Dodgehemi7 10-20-2010 01:00 PM

I havent had a problem with the bike really running hot, but I ride my bike really hard and figured the cooler the bike stays the longer it should last.
So 2 bottles should cover a flush and refill right?

nickels 10-20-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgehemi7 (Post 978798)
I havent had a problem with the bike really running hot, but I ride my bike really hard and figured the cooler the bike stays the longer it should last.
So 2 bottles should cover a flush and refill right?

yeap 2 bottles will be good and you should have some left over

hondajunkie 10-20-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgehemi7 (Post 978751)
Did you notice your bike running any cooler? I like the idea that you dont have to switch for track use too.

Yeah it runs alittle cooler maybe 5 degrees or so....not that big a deal to me.
I dont usually ride when its 90+ degrees anyway so that wasnt the deciding factor for me...just that it was good for track use AND it had anti-freeze properties.

skameigh 10-20-2010 05:21 PM

Engine-Ice is good stuff. I either use it or water-wetter. I currently have antifreeze in my system for the winter as my track season is over... R1 front end going on the f4i soon!!!

OutlawF4 10-20-2010 05:57 PM

I use it. Use it straight, it works great! My fans kick on probably close to half the time compared to when I wasnt using it. But if you use this, dont waste your money on Water Wetter also becuz it(Engine Ice) basically neutralizes Water Wetter if used in conjuction with EIce.