CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Engine Buzz Sound After CCT Install...Ideas? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/engine-buzz-sound-after-cct-install-ideas-96391/)

Sick97SS 06-30-2009 01:30 PM

Engine Buzz Sound After CCT Install...Ideas?

About 2 months ago I put in an APE CCT. Wonderful! Made the horrible buzzing go away, i've been happy ever since......until about 2 weeks ago, i've got a new sound. It's definatly a different buzz sound than the stocker but still a buzz and is ONLY at 6k rpms when the revs are comming down..sounds like it's on the right side of the motor right where the cct is..

On the throttle, there is no sound and the bike pulls strong all the way to redline. It's only when im off the throttle and the revs are comming down and get to 6-5.5k, I get a really quick BUZZ sound making me insane!!

When i installed the CCT i had set it perfectly to the length of the stocker, thats how i was told to install from these forums. I've already adjusted the CCT twice trying to tighten it up some more but the sound is still there. Im worried to tighten it anymore with fear of wearing valvetrain parts.. dudes have any ideas or suggestions of what this could be?

thanks in advance.

whitedevil 06-30-2009 03:15 PM

it is possible to overtighten, and it is not just the "valvetrain" parts down, also the slide and the actual cam chain.

May want to back it off and then go back in with it till the vibration goes away in case it is not proper now.

Sick97SS 07-07-2009 12:46 PM

Well I tried adjusting the CCTL again, with no results. the buzzing is still there at 6k and it's ony after the bike gets nice and hot after 10+ mins of riding..not a happy f4i at the moment.

Incognito 07-07-2009 03:30 PM

You sure it's not just normal engine noise, mine makes a similar buzzing sound at around 5K (sometimes), but it's not anywhere near as bad as the stock CCTL used to be.

xjoewhitex 07-07-2009 04:10 PM

Maybe something has gone loose or maybe something is wore out.. I know the auto cct's loosen up a bit when you get on it really hard to prevent stress being put on other parts, with the manual its stuck where you place it.. so maybe with that said you should check other parts around it for wear. But I really have no idea thats a guess...

Sick97SS 08-11-2009 11:14 AM

I've officially checked every external nut and bolt on the bike and everything seems fine, however the buzz seems like its getting worse over time and is still at exactly at 6000 rpm no more no less.

Another detail i've noticed is that if im cruising right at 6000rpm on the freeway (intentionally causing the buzzing) and hit a slight bump the sound gets really loud. (louder buzzing when weight is taken off the bike)

any more ideas on what to check? hopefully nothing internal...:mad:

Incognito 08-11-2009 07:53 PM

Put the bike in neutral and rev it up to redline for like 2 minutes non-stop. That'll fix it. J/K
If it were me, I'd start from scratch. Back the adjuster out and redo it. I know it sucks messing with that thing, but what else you gonna do? If it's really all that bad, maybe swap it out with an OEM CCTL and see if it doesn't alleviate it. If it's still there, then you know something else is fubar. Still better than taking it to the dealer and getting reamed.
They'd be like, "sorry, we couldn't replicate the problem. That'll be $300 please."