CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   embarking on the 1st oil change.... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/embarking-1st-oil-change-96730/)

typrice 07-06-2009 08:33 PM

embarking on the 1st oil change....

this will be the first oil change i am preforming on this 05 f4i.
The 1st owner was using an OEM filter, and Moble1 synthetic oil($10 a qt)
I was wondering if this was nessasary... I see a lot of people on here use that rotella(blue jug). I was wondering if i should keep using the expensive stuff, or switch.:icon_shrug:

Incognito 07-06-2009 11:46 PM

Here's some good reading to help you make up your mind:
Motorcycle Oil and Filters~Motorcycle Motor Oil~Bob is the Oil Guy Forum(moto).
I'm one of those Rotella people so my suggestion would be biased, lol.

Berto 07-07-2009 05:09 AM

I'm a Rotella guy, too. Inexpensive, readily available (Wal-Mart has it) and the specs on it are top notch.

As for the filter, the OEM is fine, but there are better aftermarket choices, such and K&N. More expensive, I think, but probably a better filter. I use a brand carried by Cycle Gear. I think it's Tri-flow or something like that.

--Paul

typrice 07-07-2009 10:31 AM

so much to read! lol
thanks, i really think those are great for a neebie.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey_f4i 07-07-2009 11:19 AM

make sure you have all your oil changing supplies ready to go.
A bike stand is very helpful, oil pan, oil funnel, oil (lol), wrench to remove oil bolt, filter wrench( not really needed, should be able to be removed by hand with a little grunt work ) news paper (to lay under the bike for any incindental oil drops on the garage floor, if your wife is anything like mine) I like to use a bit of aluminum foil to cover the header pipes just in case any oil drops fall on em and so they dont smoke later when the pipes get hot, mechanics rag for any cleanup wipe down.
and your set.
Be proud. You have changed your own oil.

blkmz3 07-07-2009 12:05 PM

i did my 1st oil change on the bike 2 weeks ago. used a wal-mart oil filter which fit perfectly. my oil filter wouldn't budge. I took my left fairing off. used a oil filter wrench and put foil over the exhaust manifold. no oil spilled. i used Rotella regular but i think the next oil change i will go synthetic.

gotcbr 07-07-2009 12:54 PM

OEM filter & Honda oil is fine. Your bike doesn't *need* synthetic. That being said, I've got nothing against it. :)

typrice 07-07-2009 01:49 PM

what oil filters do you guys use?
im reading bout supertech....its super cheap?

Incognito 07-07-2009 03:16 PM

Yeah those SuperTechs are supposed to be really good. Been using them for my cars and you cant beat them at $2.50/$4.00. For the bike though, I'm partial to the NAPA Gold 1358 (Wix). Whatever you use, don't use Fram :icon_nut:

xjoewhitex 07-07-2009 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr (Post 806569)
OEM filter & Honda oil is fine. Your bike doesn't *need* synthetic. That being said, I've got nothing against it. :)

It does after you have started using it. Once you've gone synthetic your stuck with it.. But I prefer it anyways, seems to last longer and doesn't burn up.