CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Electrical problem that won't go away (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/electrical-problem-wont-go-away-135666/)

SkoogusMaximus 03-18-2012 11:24 AM

Electrical problem that won't go away

I've had electrical problems with my 03 f4i since i bought it used a few years ago. lately though, the battery/charging system keeps crapping out on me. I have a new battery in the bike, hooked up to a tender when i'm not riding. Even though my multimeter says its fully charged, when i try and start the bike, it cranks slowly and the voltage on the batter plummets. I can start it if the tender is still hooked up to the bike. When the bike is running, there are no issues. When i rev it up above 5K the voltage goes up like its supposed to.

From what I can remember, that means that my R/R is fine, right?

74demon 03-18-2012 11:57 AM

Check your starter draw as well as the resistance through the positive and negative cables. You say your battery is new, but have it load tested to be sure its good anyway. as always, be sure your connections, and grounds are clean and tight. Loosening up grounds and giving them a wiggle then retightening them will re-establish good grounds.

SkoogusMaximus 03-18-2012 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1141695)
Check your starter draw as well as the resistance through the positive and negative cables. You say your battery is new, but have it load tested to be sure its good anyway. as always, be sure your connections, and grounds are clean and tight. Loosening up grounds and giving them a wiggle then retightening them will re-establish good grounds.

I'll try that out.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I did the current draw test when you disconnect the ground from the battery and measure the current. It supposed to be 1.2mA but i was getting like 2mA and then the tachometer spins up and the clock resets.

MadHattr059 03-18-2012 02:00 PM

That test is to be indicative of a short to ground, somewhere in the harness.
Or something draws a load even when the key is switched off.

It can be minor (like yours), but it shows that there is something creating a current
draw that shouldn't. It can be things like dirt/grunge creating a grounding that the
current is trickling across, even with the bike turned off, thus draining the battery.

Not sure from your description where the load is. You did this with the ignition off
and the meter connected between the battery negative terminal and the end of the
negative cable, correct?

As Demon's mentioned, clean and verify all the connections to the bike.
Really look-over anything that looks added/patched in to the harness,
for correct circuit-routing and integrity.

Good luck, Ern

Aleksander 03-18-2012 03:54 PM

Check your rectifier. I was having similar problems a while back. Brand new batteries kept crapping out on me, and I couldnt figure out if it was the generic batteries i was buying or what, since they would charge fine on the battery tender. Turned out the rectifier blew out on me and was sending way too much voltage to the batteries and was toasting them pretty quick. If you have a multimeter test the battery with the bike running, and it shouldnt go above 14-15volts or so when revving. Look online for the actual voltage ratings at RPM levels, its been a while since i fixed it. On my bad one when I revved the engine above like 3k, it would go to upwards of 18 volts. When I took the rectifier off the bike to replace it, it looked like a bullet exited out of the back of it.