F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Electric issues. Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric issues. Won't start.

This post is long. Sorry.

Story time: I started the bike and put it gear with the kickstand down and it cut off. No big deal. Then when i pressed the starter button again i heard a loud click(i now know it is coming from the starter relay) then every single piece of electronics on the bike cut off. When this would happen, the bike would take between 30 seconds to a minute to reset the electrical system, and everything would come back on, but the amount of time varied every time it did this.

Ican push it off and it will fire up and run, but I hit the starter button once and everything shut off and the motor died.

I suspected the starter, so i disconnected the lead at the relay, it wouldmake the same popping noise, but the power would not shut off. At some point, i believe the lead was off, but i can't be sure, the power did cut off and now it won't reset at all.

Can someone help me figure out what the ****i fried?
Please, i miss my baby, and it's only been a couple of days.

PS. It's an 01, just in case that helps.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electric issues. Won't start.

It's possible your battery's bad. The starter motor is the single biggest draw of current from the battery. So pushing the starter switch can easily drop the voltage of a weak battery and reset the electronics. The electronics will reset only when the battery voltage recovers (which is a slow chemical reaction!)
I would say charge your battery and if it happens again try jumping it from another bike. If that works replace your battery!
First check your battery connections.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 PM

I checked it with a volt meter and it read just a little over 12, but i'm taking your advice, the battery is on the charger.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 AM
WOT

ORIGINAL: ampfp

It's possible your battery's bad. The starter motor is the single biggest draw of current from the battery. So pushing the starter switch can easily drop the voltage of a weak battery and reset the electronics. The electronics will reset only when the battery voltage recovers (which is a slow chemical reaction!)
I would say charge your battery and if it happens again try jumping it from another bike. If that works replace your battery!
First check your battery connections.
I think it might be the battery as well.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:36 PM

It's the battery.

My brother came out with his r6 and his battery kicked it right over. However, it's still in pieces, and no one around has a battery in stock, so i won't get to ride it for a few days.

Thanks a lot.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try putting in a gel battery. has worked great for me so far though it's off ebay