F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

ECU numbers? which one do i have?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Default ECU numbers? which one do i have?

I'm running a Cali bike (unfortunately) but the cali stock tune on the PC5 seems to pull too much fuel and it pings rolling on in the 4k-6k range.

It makes me wonder if something else is off or if perhaps i don't have a CA ECU anymore?

Can anyone give me the part number for the stock US market ECU (or even the CA one to confirm that's what mine has)

Or any other thoughts on why it's pinging.

'02 'stock' F4i - runs Yoshi slip on.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Cali Model
38770-MBW-L11

Other 49
38770-MBW-A12

Not to many thoughts...Only experiences I have with the PC's are bad ones and the one I had on my bike could never get it to work right. Think its faulty, it only ever made my bike throw codes. Good luck

Old 12-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Thank you, at least i can now see if i'm still running the CA ECU.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:20 PM

another thing to watch for is that california ecus are rigged for an o2 sensor. does your bike have an o2?

sometimes power commander maps can be really crappy. the power commander map for my exhaust system made it run way worse.

you can open the map and change the 4-6k range to 0% and see if that helps. if it does, try going a bit further? tuning by feel isn't actually that bad, if you just move a few percent at a time, you'll find a sweet spot.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:06 AM

OH yeah, mine is a CA model alright, got all the crap down below

That's not a bad idea, it's worse with regular fuel which is 87 here, which should be enough, but, yeah.
I'll load up the 'stock' 49 state tune and zero the cells that pull fuel in that range, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 AM

i'd still start with the cali map.

since the power commander doesn't have its own complete fuel map, it's practically just a trim table against the existing map, if you apply trims designed for a totally different base fuel map it'll probably just be out to lunch.

That's not a bad idea, it's worse with regular fuel which is 87 here, which should be enough, but, yeah
i doubt the octane is a factor, but if your remap is tight enough and has some spots that are already lean, a bit of ethanol might be pushing it over the edge? E10 wants about 5% more fuel. usually doesn't make much difference but these engines can be really sensitive.

when i'm using a fueling table from a vehicle that was made with pure gas, and the destination vehicle will run E10 or E15 blends, i tend to add 5% to the entire map.

in power commander, best way to do that is ctrl-a (to select all) and press the page-up key five times.

the power commander 5 is super awesome for this purpose, you can keep two maps with a switch, so you can have a pure gas and an E15 map and change it depending on where you fill up ....

.. but you can also use this for your purposes, testing the original map vs your new one, to see if it's a real improvement or not.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:29 AM

Cursorily comparing the maps, they appear to be the 'same' but with more fuel pulled on the CA map. Basing my pinging issues on this, i figured just use the lesser pulled version of the map, the 49 starer.

I didn't know about that function for adjusting the map, i'll try it, thanks, i think their delta changes are probably pretty good, but i agree that the amount pulled Vs stock, or zero, is probably too much.

Without checking PCV, are those numbers all % points? not sure what else they'd be, but they are significant changes if that's the case, the CA map has numbers nearing 30.

Last edited by F2CMaDMaXX; 12-21-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:41 PM

Too much fuel will never cause pinging. Lean condition, overheating, over advanced ignition timing all will. Also if the engine has lots of internal carbon build up it can create hot spots causing pre-ignition [pinging].
Why are you running a PC with a slip on? I've had my yoshi on for over 50,000 miles now without a tuner.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:44 PM

Pulling fuel is removal of fuel, not the addition.

It's a CA model, they have O2 sensors and other bollox on them, the PCV was new and came with the bike, but lets me correct weird fuelling as a result of it' trying to run on a dynamic map before supposedly reverting to a static once it can't detect the O2 sensor anymore.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:12 AM

Mine being an 06 the only difference from a cali model is my lack of evap box under the bike. Actually getting ready to change my O2 sensor soon in search of some missing gas mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU numbers? which one do i have?

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.