CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   EBC clutch fibers question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/ebc-clutch-fibers-question-155813/)

MikeW 04-09-2017 05:32 PM

EBC clutch fibers question

Hey all , Ive got a question for anyone that has used an EBC clutch on their F4i

I bought a set of EBC fibers, and set out to change the clutch. When I got the clutch pack home I opened it up and threw the discs in some oil to soak while I got ready. Well as it turns out all the discs have the same I.D.

So my question is , what do I do about the judder spring? do I replace one of the EBC discs with my old OEM (or I guess order a new one).

Do I leave the judder spring out ?
Do I just leave the spring and pile in the plates?

Have to say Im a little miffed that they would sell this as an oem replacement option, but not mention anything about the fact that there is (what appears to me) 1 major deviation.

Anyone used these clutches? if so what did you do regarding the judder spring?

Thanks all.

sjona2011 04-10-2017 02:26 AM

Just measure the thickness if that one disk, if it's still within spec then reuse it. Otherwise order one from a local shop or online and use it with the rest of the ebc disks.

MikeW 04-10-2017 01:17 PM

Ya I think that may be the option I have to go with.

Guess I just figured that EBC was a big enough name that someone would have used this clutch and had a different option.

Sucks living out in the sticks , every single time you need a part its 2 weeks to get something ordered on line, or a week plus double the cash to order it from the nearest dealer.

Thanks for the input.

*edit*

I measured that disc, came in just over 3 mm service limit is 2.6, so no wear on it really.
I went that route, used the original disc and the judder spring.
Still for future reference if anyone else has any input on the matter feel free to chime in.

boredandstroked 04-11-2017 03:44 PM

Was the original clutch bad? Nobody uses EBC or any other aftermarket clutch because the OEM one is so good. Mines still like new at 82,000 miles.

MikeW 04-11-2017 04:20 PM

Most of the fibers were just above the lower limit, the clutch was starting to slip a little at higher speeds, when ever I would overtake a vehicle it would slip for a second before grabbing. The bike has around 75k / km on it but I think it was likely tracked or stunted before I got her, either way she was definitely abused.
I just figured while I was doing plugs, oil, brakes, chain etc.. to get ready for the season I would go ahead and do the clutch.

I was under the impression that EBC was a decent product , but I think I will definitely stick with OEM in the future. Time will tell how the clutch and brake pads stand up this time around and I'll take it from there.

Though as I type this I realize the one thing I didn't measure, were the springs. I'm assuming that worn springs would cause slipping at higher loads even if the pads weren't completely worn. Is that correct ?

sjona2011 04-13-2017 11:54 AM

Bad springs could cause slippage, but what oil are you running? The wrong oil will play havoc on a wet clutch

MikeW 04-13-2017 01:10 PM

I'm using the Honda GN4 oil.

With all the discussion on moly this or moly that going around I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of it, the more I read the more confused I got. So I decided to just go with the Honda oil from the dealership.

boredandstroked 04-14-2017 11:52 AM

I used GN4 for like 50,000 miles, its good stuff. Motorcycle oil doesn't have moly in it, at least not the 4cyl specific stuff. Maybe Vtwin oil but I don't know. I've used whatever is cheapest in full synthetic for the last 30,000 miles, either mobil 1 4T or recently I think its castrol full syn 4T.

Yes, worn springs will cause slipping. If it was abused and enough heat put into the clutch springs it can heat treat and weaken them. Not for sure, but worth checking out.