F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Easier way to adjust chain slack........

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easier way to adjust chain slack........

I am a newer rider and own my first bike. None of my buddies have bikes (yet) and i dont want to have to pay the dealer 50 each time to adjust my chain. I find it hard to measure the amount of slack that the manual calls for....

For those of you who are good at adjusting your chain can you measure from the bottom of your swingarm to the bottom or top of the chain when you push it up toward the swingarm ?

Also when turning the adjusters at the rear wheel a mechanic told me it is easier if you take a wrench or a screwdriver, turn your rear wheel so it catches the tool in between the sprocket and the chain so that when you turn the adjusters it doesnt cause the axle to go back and forth. The last time i adjusted the chain it would just see-saw back and forth and not stay so the axle was straight.......

Any tips and tricks would be great....

thanks

Dave

Old 12-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Default RE: Easier way to adjust chain slack........

Only real good help i can give is to tell you, if you don't have a stand, get one ASAP.

I haven't adjusted the chain on my F4i yet(my friends at the shop did it for me when i got tires), but on every other bike i've had, there's the lines to indicate axle position, and they help ALOT.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:15 PM

I did mine the other day and I'm not 100% sure if it's the correct way but it worked fine for me.
Just use the indicators on the adjusters.

Roll the wheel around so that you are at the slackest part in the chain. Use yer finger to push the chain up and down to check for the slackest spot. You should be at the part that is under the swingarm or returning to the rear sprocket so to speak. Now when you loosen off the back wheel don't loosen it all the way. You wanna just crack the nut and a little more if you know what I mean.

Now make a small adjustment approx 1/4 turn on the screw and see if the chain tensions a little. If it doesn't or the screw is difficult to turn, don't force it. You just need to crack the wheelnut open a little more. Just be sure to equalize, meaning if you turn the adjusters half a turn on one side then turn it half a turn on the other side and your axle will stay straight. You can also use a ruler to measure your indicators. Adjust as per manual specs, don't forget to tighten yer wheel back up and enjoy yer ride.

I'm sure there is a more professional way but this works fine for back yard boys like me

Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Bullswool

I did mine the other day and I'm not 100% sure if it's the correct way but it worked fine for me.
Just use the indicators on the adjusters.

Roll the wheel around so that you are at the slackest part in the chain. Use yer finger to push the chain up and down to check for the slackest spot. You should be at the part that is under the swingarm or returning to the rear sprocket so to speak. Now when you loosen off the back wheel don't loosen it all the way. You wanna just crack the nut and a little more if you know what I mean.

Now make a small adjustment approx 1/4 turn on the screw and see if the chain tensions a little. If it doesn't or the screw is difficult to turn, don't force it. You just need to crack the wheelnut open a little more. Just be sure to equalize, meaning if you turn the adjusters half a turn on one side then turn it half a turn on the other side and your axle will stay straight. You can also use a ruler to measure your indicators. Adjust as per manual specs, don't forget to tighten yer wheel back up and enjoy yer ride.

I'm sure there is a more professional way but this works fine for back yard boys like me
its actually finding the tightest part of your chain. cause if you find the slackest part the tightest part will be too tight.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:34 AM

Woops yeh the tightest. Thanks for correcting me