F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Duped

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt call it immature at all. Id be doing way worse stuff if it was me just to **** the guy off. Id say youre on the right track...tell him to f off and theyll be notified asap. If he wasnt honest from the start and made his intentions clear itd be no big deal but hes obviously a cheat and a scoundrel. Youre totally in the right to make it as difficult as possible for him to pull this off.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
Are you sure he isn't washing cash through you (and others by the look of things)?
tested the cash right in front of him.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 PM

Am I missing something? Did you sell it? Do you have a release of liability? Why should anything after that matter to you? He's a capitalist. Are you just sore you didnt ask that much? Who's fault is that? His or yours? Sometimes you need to ignore the emotions that dont matter.

Last edited by MitchA; 04-17-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 AM

nothing wrong with flipping...maybe thats his hustle to make some side money...who knows, who cares. but i def would not have sold him the bike without officially signing it over to him. oh well, we live and learn

Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by mdelima353
looks like ur not the only one he got.. check out his other items..

emaimo929 | eBay
I like the way the ad for the Kawasaki says, "with exhaust!" Man, what an added bonus!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM

i think some of you guys don't realize what i'm actually concerned about. it's not about the money, because i actually made money off of this transaction.

some need to understand a situation before shooting off at the mouth like they know it all. until the tax collector is notified of the sale, i am the owner of the bike and am liable if anything were to happen with it involved.

like i've posted before, i'm not against making money, just don't like getting lied to. i got what i wanted from it and i've accepted this as a learning experience.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by heyitsmelam
i think some of you guys don't realize what i'm actually concerned about. it's not about the money, because i actually made money off of this transaction.
U
some need to understand a situation before shooting off at the mouth like they know it all. until the tax collector is notified of the sale, i am the owner of the bike and am liable if anything were to happen with it involved.

like i've posted before, i'm not against making money, just don't like getting lied to. i got what i wanted from it and i've accepted this as a learning experience.

I think the important thing is you, got what you want out of it. It sucks he lied to you, and it seems like you'd be doing basically what I'd be doing, so good luck. Hopefully karma exists and the fu^ker gets his.

I've been lied too while buying a bike before, didn't end up getting the bike, but it felt like crap.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seriously this is the big part.

Say the guy flips it to some squid. McSquid also doesn't register it, goes stunting through a neighborhood and hits a kid. Rather than face his music he ditches and runs since "Hey! The bike isn't in my name". Angry cops show up on heyitsmelam's door demanding to know "WTF?"

Yes, he can prove he no longer owns the bike. He WILL be visiting the station unless he can supply an instantly checkable alibi for the time of the wreck.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...until the tax collector is notified of the sale, i am the owner of the bike and am liable if anything were to happen with it involved.
^ That statement is incorrect & is a common misconception.

OP, I have some experience w/ this type of situation...

All you need to CYA is a signed Bill of Sale by you & the buyer (a photocopy of the signed title by the new owner helps as well). From your orig post, you have that all important BOS.

While your name will still be in the system as the "owner" until the new owner re-titles & registers it, you are not. You legally relinquished ownership the instant that cash changed hands, the title was signed, & the Bill of Sale was signed.

IF something were to happen that the bike is involved in any type of incident b/f the new owner re-titles/registers/sells the bike....YES, you'll more than likely get a phone call from the investigating officer. Simply tell them that you legally sold the bike & have a signed Bill of Sale to prove it.

It is the responsibility of the buyer to re-title, register, & pay all associated fees. Failure on his part to do this does not relieve him from ownership responsibilities & any/all incidents resulting from misuse of the bike.

While your omissions on the title wasn't a good decision, it doesn't make you guilty of any wrong-doing. However, you should have completely filled it out...for the least of which, is protecting yourself from fraud. If the buyer can't afford tax on the bike, he shouldn't be buying it. Obviously from what you say, his sole intention was to flip the bike w/o having to pay all the associated fees of new ownership. <---This is a no-no in most places these days.

Nevertheless, you've learned a lesson that you obviously already know...& I highly doubt you'll repeat. Who needs the stress right?

From time to time, we get similar threads to yours w/ problematic selling/buying situations. Generally, if at all possible, its a good idea to do the transaction w/ associated documents at your DMV. All can be done in front of a rep, be witnessed, & any problems w/ re-titling & registration can be addressed & resolved from the git-go.

Good luck w/ your situation. Hope it all goes well.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM

There really isn't any liability exposure for you. Title transfers happen like that all day every day. People trade a car in with a clean title to a dealer, the dealer never puts it in their name and just reassigns the title to the person who eventually buys the car.

Be pissed that the guy lied to you, but don't lose any sleep over anything else. He probably won't get enough to make it worth his time and effort.