CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Dumped bike - need help (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/dumped-bike-need-help-144623/)

Darman 02-10-2013 02:26 PM

Dumped bike - need help

Hello, I'm new to the world of biking. I just layed my bike over today while coming to a stop at a 4-way stop. I was literally only going 2km/hr, so it was basically at a standstill, but there was black ice I didn't see - I even had my foot down already, but the back just slid right out. Maybe I should've waited to register it, but whatever, too late now. Unfortunately, it won't start now, and it was a ways from home, and I need to fix it before it gets towed tomorrow - it's in a 2 hr parking zone.

So basically it just chipped the fairing, and bent the gear shifter - I can shift gears, but it won't go to neutral for some reason. When I turn the key, I do hear the (I'm assuming fuel pump?) whir, but then it won't turn over. All the gauges come on. Any suggestions for what to look at? When I spend an hour running back to look at it, I want to know everything that could possibly be wrong. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I don't know if having it on its side could cause problems? I picked it up pretty quickly - it was only down for about 10 seconds. I read something about a tip over sensor as well - not sure what it is, what it does, or if I need to do anything with it?

Kuroshio 02-10-2013 02:38 PM

Yeah there's a bank angle sensor but the fuel pump won't prime if it's tripped.

When you say it won't turn over do you mean you can try but it won't catch? Or pressing the starter does nothing?

Darman 02-10-2013 02:41 PM

Pressing the starter does nothing.

cBrentb 02-10-2013 02:46 PM

If it physically won't go into neutral, I'd start looking at shifter linkage area on out side of bike. If nothing there then start looking at internal shifting parts ect. If its just the neutral light that's not coming on then look at neutral switch, clutch diode and check the fuse box area and all wiring..could have knocked a connection loose or a fuse maybe.

Might or might not be it but, its a place to start.

Darman 02-10-2013 02:46 PM

Oh and I realize it needs to be in neutral to start (and I stated I can't get it into neutral), but it normally will start in gear if I hold the clutch in.

Darman 02-10-2013 02:52 PM

Test test... my posts don't seem to be showing up...

Kuroshio 02-10-2013 03:18 PM

Thinking kickstand sensor.

Darman 02-10-2013 03:28 PM

K, how do I bypass that? Are there just a couple wires running to the kickstand that I cut and connect together?

Kuroshio 02-10-2013 03:37 PM

Been searching for that but no joy yet. Since it sounds like you took damage right in that area, I'd suggest checking the connectors are snugged first tho

Darman 02-10-2013 03:42 PM

K, thanks. Well I'm just going to run there and take a look at it, try a few things. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to look at it when it happened because I was in a hurry to get somewhere. And it'll take me ~30-45 mins to run there. I'll let you know what the outcome is.