CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Dual seat conversion (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/dual-seat-conversion-137568/)

Moore.Speed 05-01-2012 11:23 PM

Dual seat conversion

I saw a post a while back where Yunebug and GotCBR used the same idea I read from Yunebug's post to https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...i-36460/page5/ and I was wondering how much it would cost to do the duat seat conversion for my 2004 F4i. I copied Yunebug's post of the parts needed for the conversion and it is placed below here. I would like to do this in the near future but it seems like a hell of a task and possibly pretty pricey. Thanks for your help.

01-03 CBR600F4i Subframe (50200-MBW-A10ZA)
This is the subframe. Without the subframe, tail swap is not possible.

01-03 CBR600F4i Undertray (80105-MBW-A10)
Undertray is the plastic tray that installs onto the subframe.

01-03 CBR600F4i Front Seat (77100-MBW-A10)
This is a no brainer. You cannot use the banana seat on a split seat conversion.

01-03 CBR600F4i Battery Cover (80110-MBW-A10)
Battery cover is not necessary.

01-03 CBR600F4i Tail light (33710-MBW-A11)
You need this as the tail lights were different between the 01-03 and 04-06.

01-03 CBR600F4i Seat Bolt (2) (96300-06020-00)
These bolts secure the front seat to the subframe. Front seat is held by the clip in the front, and these two bolts in the back.

clip for fairing to undertray (4) (90683-MBW-003)
These are little black plastic clips to secure the fairing from below

Frankenstien bolts (2) (90116-MBG-000)
These are two bolts that hold the fairing from above. Goes on each side of the faring, near the front of the rear seat.

Tank bolts (2) (90102-MBW-A10)
These are the flat-head bolts we've been talking about

Rubber Groment for Taillight (2) (19038-ME9-000)
These are rubber grommets that the tail light bolts go through. These SHOULD come with the undertray.

seat bolt collar(1) (90522-170-700)
You already have this on your 06 F4i. Reuse.

Washer for frankenstien bolts (2) (94102-08700)
You can use any washer for this as long as they're the right size. These are available at Home Depot.

Lock gaurd for 01-03 trunk (1) (77157-MCF-000)
This is the #7 part in the diagram from ronayers.com I posted.

Passenger Pegs (50750-MBW-A10ZA, 50760-MBW-A10)
Passenger pegs are different. 01-03 pegs have a wider distance between the two bolts. If they did not come with the subframe, you need them (unless you want to run without passenger pegs).

Rear Cowel (77210-MBW-A10ZA)
This the fairing.

gotcbr 05-02-2012 01:04 PM

I'm glad my tutorial helped yunebug. ;-) Hopefully, it will help you too! :-)

See my tutorial & my profile pg where I listed my costs. Costs vary for parts these days. Subframes on eBay typically run $200+, battery trays $100+/-, tail cowl $100, seats $50-60 ea. Those are the major costs.

It really is an easy conversion, almost a direct swap. You can do this! Besides my tutorial, I've written lots on the conversion here that's easily found. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be glad to help you.

brhoades91 05-09-2012 08:09 PM

04 cbr 600f4i Bannana seat needs to go

I need all the info i can get about my conversion. Are all 03 f4i's dual seat ? Im finding subframes and pictures noted as a 03 but have the single seat like mine or the subframe looks identical

gotcbr 05-09-2012 08:30 PM

Yes, all U.S. '03 F4i's are split-seat.

See my photo gallery for the tutorial & pic comparisons of the two dif subframes.

Moore.Speed 05-10-2012 09:16 AM

Gotcbr, what difference in comfortability and ease of ride does the split seat make compared to the solo on my 2004? I think I will keep mine stock with a good looking seat cover and undertail kit to make it look a little better without such an expense like the conversion.

kdbolt70 05-10-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Moore.Speed (Post 1158426)
Gotcbr, what difference in comfortability and ease of ride does the split seat make compared to the solo on my 2004? I think I will keep mine stock with a good looking seat cover and undertail kit to make it look a little better without such an expense like the conversion.

I've ridden a split seat with the stock seat, a split seat with a corbin seat, and a banana seat with the stock seat. The banana seat I felt was a bit more comfortable, especially long duration, than the stock split seat. I think the split seat corbin is significantly more comfortable than both the stock split seat and the banana seat. Hope that helps some...

gotcbr 05-10-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Moore.Speed (Post 1158426)

Here's my take on the points mentioned above...

I didn't do the split-seat conversion strictly for looks. However, its not a bad reason. ;-) My main purpose for doing the conversion was for riding track. I'd tracked w/ my banana seat many times but didn't like the body position I was getting w/ it that way compared to my other split-seat bikes. After the conversion, I can get off front seat easier & quicker, etc. I've been much happier w/ the body position I achieve both on the track & in local twisties.

That being said, "comfort" is interpreted by each rider. What may be comfortable for one, may not be comfortable for another. Personally, I find the split-seat to be perfectly comfortable for me & my purposes. However, I believe its fair to say that the banana seat - being wider & thicker - is more comfortable for most riders.

You should really consider what your main purpose for the bike is going to be & what your preferences are. If you mainly want to use your bike for commuting, touring, & the occasional twisties, there's certainly nothing wrong w/ the banana seat.

As far as expense for the conversion goes... The biggest expense is the split-seat subframe, battery tray, seats, & tail fairing. Everything else is incidental. I gathered my parts over a period of time, so the expense didn't seem quite as large as buying everything at one time.

Incompatible 05-10-2012 04:05 PM

For those who have been on both the single and split seats. Is there any difference in leg reach/seat height between the two? Gotcbr, this is a good question for you having both styles on the same bike (suspension set up). tks

gotcbr 05-10-2012 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Incompatible (Post 1158569)
For those who have been on both the single and split seats. Is there any difference in leg reach/seat height between the two? Gotcbr, this is a good question for you having both styles on the same bike (suspension set up). tks

There is a dif. I don't have exact measurements for you but the feel is very dif IMO. I know that I'm able to hang off the bike much easier in the corners w/ the split-seat.