F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dropped copper washer during valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped copper washer during valve adjustment

Hello, newbie here. Been lurking for a while, but I've made a terrible mistake and now I need some guidance.

While doing a valve adjustment, I dropped one of the copper washers from the cam cover and the stars aligned to make it roll down into some god-forsaken hole that I didn't even notice before. I've attached an image with the aforementioned hole marked in red.

I have no idea where it leads to and the washer is nowhere to be seen. Since it's copper, I can't use a magnetic pick up tool. I've tried a wire bent into a hook, but I'm fishing blind.

I'll remove the oil pan early next week, but I'm not too hopeful. Can anyone tell me where that hole connects to? Is there any chance it goes straight to the sump and my nightmare will be over?

Attached Thumbnails Dropped copper washer during valve adjustment-copper-washer.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Since its an oil drain, chances are very high it goes strait to the sump. I can't say for sure but chances are good.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Bummer!!

I too am reasonably sure it goes all the way to the sump - I would bet however that it narrows at some point - head to block joint and it probably has lodged there.

Have a look at this diagram..........

You need to keep trying with a thin piece of 'stiff' wire with a hook bent in the end to 'fish' it out.

Alternatively remove the sump, find where the oil gallery emerges and blow back up it with compressed air.

Good luck.

Cheers, SB

Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Or you could do this*...........................

And shake it like buggery!

This CBR250 owner dropped two shims down the oil drain.

Cheers, SB

* This is NOT recommended if you live with your Mother, Girlfriend of Wife. In fact ANY woman.

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 03-02-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 PM

Double sided tape??

Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

omfg best motorcycle picture ever!!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electric guitar string. I sometimes save the old ones for purposes like this. Good luck fishing!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM

That is an amazing picture. I was actually wondering why you uploaded a picture upside down for a while. Sorry, I'm slow.

In other news, I GOT IT!!! Taking off the cams gave me a much clearer view and I could see the most likely trajectory the washer had taken on its way down. I took off the oil pan and voila, it was just sitting there. Didn't have to pour oil down to flush it or anything. I am an incredibly lucky person.

Thanks everyone for posting and giving me ideas. If someone happens across this posting from searching "dropped copper washer down crankcase," I wish you the best of luck. Cheers!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Tape probably won't work because of the oil, even if it does stay sticky it'll stick to the walls.

I would agree with the thin wire bent into a hook. Make it a long hook so after you run it as far down as possible and start to bring it up and the wire goes through the washer the washer has a very hard time slipping off.

This is something I though would only happen to me.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I had an issue with my 4 wheeled transport recently - similar problem dropping
a bolt down in to the recesses of the motor - borrowed one of these to get the bugger
out , have since bought one with the extension kit

Quick Reply: Dropped copper washer during valve adjustment