F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

dropped bike wont start-need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropped bike wont start-need help asap!

Hey guys. I was riding my brothers 2001 600 f4i this morning when i had a lady hit my rear tire coming through a left turn. i fell and was ok and the bike did a wild little dance before it finally stopped. there is some cosmetic damage, but my real concern is that it wont start now. the bike dropped at about 30-35. I turn the key and can hear the fuel pump prime and everything looks ok, but when i try to start it the oil light blinks and it doesnt turn over at all. is there some kind of reset or something for this. i told my bro and he is glad im ok, but i really wanna get his bike started before he's back in town.

I checked the oil level, looked kinda low but i dont know how an accident could affect this. i only ride his bike from time to time, and i dont know much about them at all. Thanks guys

Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Default RE: dropped bike wont start-need help asap!

If your oil is low, add some. Toggle the key and engine kill a few times and she should start up again. Good luck. No leaking antifreeze, right? That'd be a bad thing.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

If your oil is low, add some. Toggle the key and engine kill a few times and she should start up again. Good luck. No leaking antifreeze, right? That'd be a bad thing.
yup. nothing leaking, nothing looks weird. bike didnt fall TOO hard...yet like i said....i dont know bikes too well so i dont know whats too hard. ill try it out now. but everything looks ok. any other suggestions at all.

Thanks sixhundredrr

Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM

i dont know how low the oil is but it should be still starting up...
it could be number of things. i doubt that it is mechanical. check the TIP/bank angle sensor or something in the headlight harness, it could have been busted

Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: alekinci

i dont know how low the oil is but it should be still starting up...
it could be number of things. i doubt that it is mechanical. check the TIP/bank angle sensor or something in the headlight harness, it could have been busted

headlight harness? is it exposed or do i have to remove something? ill go look and see if anything is disconnected or what

Thanks alekinci

Old 11-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two more possibilities:
1> The battery gives issues sometimes after falling over. That means it wont start on its own but will if you push start.
2> oil/fuel could have flooded the engine. In this case, even pushing the bike wont cause the engine to turn, the rear tire might lock if you release the clutch. I believe some others have experienced this. I havent personally but the fix is to pull the plugs and push the starter, and then the pistons will squirt the oil out of the spark plug holes (so cover them well). Then burn off the excess oil after cleaning/reinstalling the plugs.

some people say disconnecting/reconnecting the battery resets stuff and causes the bike to start, but I'm skeptical.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 AM

Have You turned the key on and toggled the kill switch on the right handle a coule times then turn the key off, then make sure switch is in run and turn key back on and start. If that doesn't work check battery under the seat.