F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dropped bike - help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped bike - help....

I had a Truck cut me off earlier this week and I grabbed way too much front brake and ended up doing a stoppie.. but laid it down... on the left side..

I had my luggage on the back so there was no damage to the rear end at all.

The bike landed directly on the stator cover and the woodcraft frame slider...

The stator cover did have a small crack in it and it leaked oil.. so i replaced that.. I also noticed that the left foot peg brack was bent in a bit and the gear shifter linkage was touching the chain... that has been replaced..

Other than that - I dont see any other damage... - I am just worried I bent the frame.. it seems to track fine.. doesnt seem to wobble..

Would Hitting the stator cover and frame slider that hard cause the frame to bend? -

Also what is the possibility that the engine could be damaged? - it seems to start fine and I feel a little vibration at high RPMs - but for the life of me I cant remember if it was like that b4... I think you always felt some vibration at high RPMS... just paranoid.. now I guess..

I do notice that the Left side frame slider doesn't protrude as far as the right.. maybe a 1/4 inch difference.. however i believe it was like that before... Does anyone have any experience with these? or could check their bike for me..

Thanks again - I love my F4I - just hate to see it totally screwed by such a little fall..

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM

Well the faster you were going the higher the probability that the damage is more extensive than you think. However, I think it's pretty unlikely that you compromised the integrity of your frame. Motorcycle frames are pretty tough.

As far as your frame slider being further in, it is possible that it dented the frame when the bike went down. But as long as it's not severely damaged I think you should be alright. How fast were you going when you went down?

Have you double and triple checked to make sure everything else is in good condition? A vibration could be coming from anywhere. My advise would be to find a smooth road that you're familiar with and see if it still persists. Definitely something worth looking in to.

Good luck with everything! Maybe get some pictures of the frame slider and post them up here. It's hard to give solid advice when you can't see what's going on.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would over look all the welds on the frame to see if you see any cracks or stressing around that area. Bike frames are strong but doesn't mean there not invincible either. Also check your coolant,oil and air box to make sure oil isn't in any of these.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:20 PM

I didnt see any coolant in the oil... or vis versa -

The vibration I am getting is just a little buzz.. in the handlebars.. at 9k+ rpm - its not shimming or shaking.. - just a little buzz..

I believe everyone gets that no??

Speed I was going maybe 20 mph... and was basically at a stop when it went over.. but from my recollection.. I was pritty high in the air..

Ill get some pics and post.. soon

Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 PM

I think most frame sliders stick out at different lengths on the left and right sides. I think some vibration in the grips is normal... but how hard did you hit the bar end when it fell over? Those screw into weights that are supposed to dampen vibration.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM

My frame is fine and the bike runs great!

Name:  IMG_0125-1-1.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  71.3 KB

Last edited by DBEAU; 06-14-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That vibration is normal. You're just paranoid.

I also agree with Ling, you may have dented the frame. Easy way to check, just mark on the sliders at the edge of the fairing, then take the sliders off, and compare the lines.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 AM

The bar ends never touched the ground.... Not a scratch....

That's quite the crash....

The sliders are about a 1/4 inch different.... I wonder if the slider compressed instead of the frame beingndented???

Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 AM

Do you have any pictures?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by DBEAU
My frame is fine and the bike runs great!

Is that a power commander under the rear of the tank I spy?

Quick Reply: Dropped bike - help....