F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Drain coolant, remove throttle body for Valve adjustment

Old 04-02-2017, 12:29 AM
Default Drain coolant, remove throttle body for Valve adjustment

Quick question about doing a valve adjustment or inspection. I'm preparing for it, and in the manual, it tells me to drain the coolant and remove the throttle bodies. When I watch videos of people doing their valves, I see no mention of this. Is the removing coolant and throttle bodies a necessary step?

Also, Is it necessary to remove the gas tank, or should I just pull it back with some cables?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:45 AM

Don`t drain the coolant, its necessary only if you want to remove the cylinder head.
I`m not sure about throttle body.
I would not remove the gas tank, pull it back with cables or support it with a rod.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

You'll probably want to lower the radiator, but don't drain the coolant. And I would also guess you'll need to remove the TBs to have enough room.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:26 PM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna do that. Next question, reinstalling the head cover calls for installing the head packing into the groove of the cylinder head cover. That's just putting the gasket back in place right? Also, It says to "Apply sealant to the cylinder head semi-circular cut-outs as shown."
What is the sealant I'm supposed to use and how do I apply it?

Attached Thumbnails Drain coolant, remove throttle body for Valve adjustment-seal.png  
Old 04-02-2017, 09:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

Use some RTV hi temp silicone. Just on the half moons.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Thank you. Red or black Permatex is fine right?
Also, it's calling for a "molybdenum oil solution". I ran across this page that says that on the camshaft when you're installing it, there's a specific lube that's more of a paste that's specific for cams.
http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/q...cylinder-heads
In the manual, it just says use "molybdenum oil solution". What's the correct one?

Last edited by ttttrigg3r; 04-02-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 AM

i'd definitely use camshaft or assembly lube when breaking in a new cam, but just reinstalling a cam after a valve shim job it isn't necessary. it's already broken in, and the oil journals are already primed.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:33 PM

No draining coolant, yes pulling off TB's for clearance [not removing, just pulling off intake tracks and setting aside still connected to cables etc], I never used anything on the half moons and I still don't leak at 82,000 miles and 2 valve adjustments, no to moly lube on assembly- its not a new motor/cams etc. and yes to pulling tank back but not disconnecting or removing from bike completely.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 PM

I`ve just done the valve clearance check and left the TB in place, took the spark plugs out though to help turning the crank, lowered the rad and left the cam chain tensioner untouched.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dverez View Post
I`ve just done the valve clearance check and left the TB in place, took the spark plugs out though to help turning the crank, lowered the rad and left the cam chain tensioner untouched.
Thanks for all the replies guys. How does one "lower the radiator"? This is not the same as removing it right?
My progress right now: drained coolant, removed tank, unsecured the TB and slid it back, took off the head cover, made a tool for the CCT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drain coolant, remove throttle body for Valve adjustment

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.