CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Drain Bolt Stuck.. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/drain-bolt-stuck-104012/)

BASEtotheFACE 12-13-2009 01:45 AM

Drain Bolt Stuck..

I was gunna give my bike an oil change like it should be done every 3k.
it seems as tho i cant get the drain bolt loose i dont have metric socket set i know its a 12mm which i equate to 1/2 SAE but the dam bolt wont come off:icon_doh:
tried a wrench to take it off nd it some wat started stripping the nut head so i immediately stop nd said fck it took 10 mins to calm down nd tried again with both socket wrench and reg. hand wrench but again started slippin on the nutt and started strippin it
Im at a loss plz help
Thanx!

caddylicious 12-13-2009 03:33 AM

try spray wd40 and use the wrench again or plyers. wd40 will help loosen it up.

cbrsixpack 12-13-2009 03:43 AM

1.Go buy a new pair of Vice -Grips with good jaws on them.
2.Wipe of all wet stuff,apply the V-G rips,put a 1" pipe on the grip & slowly undo it anti clockwise.
3.If your anything like me,sounds like you are- by the way,walk around your street asking for the tools youv'e thrown.......lol.

Seriously,if the Head is R/S on the bolt not much will loosen it without snapping it clean off.

Just my 2c

Berto 12-13-2009 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by BASEtotheFACE (Post 865235)
I was gunna give my bike an oil change like it should be done every 3k.
it seems as tho i cant get the drain bolt loose i dont have metric socket set i know its a 12mm which i equate to 1/2 SAE but the dam bolt wont come off:icon_doh:
tried a wrench to take it off nd it some wat started stripping the nut head so i immediately stop nd said fck it took 10 mins to calm down nd tried again with both socket wrench and reg. hand wrench but again started slippin on the nutt and started strippin it
Im at a loss plz help
Thanx!

First of all, buy the 12mm. It's a metric bike. You're gonna need the tools.

As noted, try some WD40, but it may be difficult to get the stuff into the threads, since it won't run uphill.

If you have a butane torch, lightly heat the area around the bolt, but not the bolt itself. Get it warm to the touch, tap the end of the bolt a couple of times with a ballpeen, then try again.

Did I mention get the right size socket? <g>

Zero1080 12-13-2009 11:10 AM

Since I made the BEST decision of my life, and bought a 35 dollar torque wrench, even though I don't know exactly how to use it yet, Oh my god does it make getting "stuck" bolts out easy. Takes about 10 extra seconds to walk over and pick it up, and takes the bolt right out.

BASEtotheFACE 12-13-2009 11:38 AM

ya i know i need the metric tool set, just like the rest of the ppl in the US right now i currently unemployed, so spending money has to be done thirftly (yes i dont know how to speel god dam american school system) ill check out the WD-40, then ill walk down my street nd see if anybody has a torque wrench, thanks for the 2 cents guys ill check it out nd see what i can do,
keep ya posted

skoobydoobie 12-13-2009 12:28 PM

First of all (Berto said it) you NEED the right tools. 1/2 is NOT 12mm. actually it's right inbetween 12and 13mm more like 12.5mm, which will strip the bolt. Might work fine for a loose bolt, but not a tight one. Second of all DO NOT use a torque wrench to EVER break loose a bolt, it will ruin your specialized ratchet that is designed and intended to TIGHTEN bolts to a specific torque, hence the name "torque wrench". To break loose stubborn nuts and bolts use a "breaker bar" it looks kinda like a ratchet but doesn't "ratchet". Its a straight bar with a socket attachment on it the slides from one end to the other. But you shouldn't need that, all you need is a 12mm socket that you can get at autozone for a couple bucks, unless you f*cked up the bolt head, then you'll need some vise grips. And when you put everything back together (this is when you need the torque wrench) the bolt should be torqued to 40 ft. lbs. Good luck.

Incognito 12-13-2009 02:29 PM

Drain Plug ~ 22 Ft. Lbs.

Berto 12-13-2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie (Post 865330)
First of all (Berto said it) you NEED the right tools. 1/2 is NOT 12mm. actually it's right inbetween 12and 13mm more like 12.5mm, which will strip the bolt. Might work fine for a loose bolt, but not a tight one. Second of all DO NOT use a torque wrench to EVER break loose a bolt, it will ruin your specialized ratchet that is designed and intended to TIGHTEN bolts to a specific torque, hence the name "torque wrench". To break loose stubborn nuts and bolts use a "breaker bar" it looks kinda like a ratchet but doesn't "ratchet". Its a straight bar with a socket attachment on it the slides from one end to the other. But you shouldn't need that, all you need is a 12mm socket that you can get at autozone for a couple bucks, unless you f*cked up the bolt head, then you'll need some vise grips. And when you put everything back together (this is when you need the torque wrench) the bolt should be torqued to 40 ft. lbs. Good luck.

Right about the torque wrench. Glad you posted it. There's no reason a torque wrench will remove a bolt that a breaker bar or drive won't.

These kids today...<g>

Zero1080 12-13-2009 03:09 PM

^Hey, I don't have a breaker bar. But my torque wrench has an option to not "ratchet" and that's what I use. I should have been more specific. More leverage basically. 13 inches or 6, which is better?