F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Downpipes CBR 600 F1

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downpipes CBR 600 F1

So looked under the bike over the weekend and I had a few holes in my downpipes. The just before the collector. So I got the welder out and stated. However, god did not give me any welding skills so i am still looking at replacing them still.

I wanted a set of balanced downpipes and the only ones I have found are the Motad ones. M&P sell them for £275.

Do I have any other options?
Does anyone know of any other suppliers of motad downpipes that are cheaper?

Looking forward to some shiny stuff coming in the post. :-)
Not looking forward to my wallet being empty again. :-(

Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume as you gave a price in £ that you are in the UK, and as such your F1 is the 2001 model (US equivalent = F4i).

http://www.sandybikespares.co.uk/pro...e/honda/cbr600

They only list the full system price for the F1 however for the pre 2000 model the downpipes are £153. They do sell the F1 downpipes individually so the cost should be identical. Many UK guys with CBRs have used them without complaints, they don't have the balancer pipes though.

Alternatively keep your eyes open on eGay, I picked up a used set of st/st headers with balance pipes for £50 last month although I have yet to get around to fitting them. It's even worth checking the US ebay - because we get overcharged for everything buying from there is cheaper even after shipping.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Yes I am from the UK. Yes I have read a few forums and people have reported a flat spot when using the Sandy downpipes due to them not having the balance pipes in place.

Have been scanning the UK eGay but nothing as come up. Not looked at the US option though, will give it a try. I might give Sandy Bike Spares a call see what they have to say.

Otherwise it is the ££££ motad replacement part.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_CBR
Yes I am from the UK. Yes I have read a few forums and people have reported a flat spot when using the Sandy downpipes due to them not having the balance pipes in place.

Have been scanning the UK eGay but nothing as come up. Not looked at the US option though, will give it a try. I might give Sandy Bike Spares a call see what they have to say.

Otherwise it is the ££££ motad replacement part.
Another cheap brand knocking around is Delkevic, again though no balancer pipes and a few people with mid range stutters.

Makes you wonder how ****ing hard can it actually be to make a decent set of header pipes .

Before I found my used jobbies I was tempted to ask Sandys if they could guarantee that there wouldn't be any flat spots from their products... would be interesting to see if they would do that. As far as I am concerned, a flat spot means the product is faulty.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 AM

I have sent sandy an email, but no reply as of yet. I fully agree that the item should be see as faulty if it produces a flat spot. It is not like £150+ is a small amount of money!!

I am half temped so crack out the pipe bender and welder and produce some copies from my old original downpipes. Will keep you updated on the route I took.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 AM

So I placed my order with sandy bike spares. £189.99 inc gaskets and postage.

I had a chat with the guy on the phone and he informed me that the balance pipes where for noise reduction and i should not have any issues with flat spots.

They will arrive tomorrow so i will report.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Ah good stuff! When you get them can you let me know if the gaskets included are copper or aluminium, I need a new set before I fit mine.

Sorry if this is stuff you already know but be careful when removing the old header nuts/studs. Snapping them off in the head is fairly common and a total pain to sort, try and find a proper penetrating oil i.e. plusgas to soak the studs and nuts in for a few days before. WD40 doesnt work anywhere near as well as a proper penetrating fluid, even diesel will work better in a pinch. If you plan on keeping the bike for a while then using brass nuts on the exhaust studs means you won't have this problem again - they shouldn't corrode much and if they do, they will strip well before the stud snaps.

Interested to know how they look .

Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 AM

I do not know, but should find out today about the gasket. I was looking into the plusgas as it has been recommended a few time to me. Just need to find a local supplier.

Like the tip about the brass nuts might have to use the old ones at first and replace them after unless i can source some today.

Will keep you inform on how it goes. It should be here today and fitted over the weekend.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:14 AM

Just arrived.

The answer is copper.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 AM

So I fitted the downpipes to the bike over the weekend, and it all went well. They look the dogs, shame I had to put the fairings back on really.
The only gripe was that before I bought them I gave them a call and asked about flat spots in the rev range. They answered, due to people fitting these after they have replaced their exhaust, air filter and had a remap using their rusty downpipes, the map would be wrong for the new efficient downpipes. Also, the balance pipes where just for noise reduction.
As my bike is 100% standard, I was told my bike would just work as normal as the new downpipes would be like putting new originals on. However, the truth of the matter is a flat spot at around 7000RPM. It is not bad TBH and I never really go that high anyway as the bike is used as a every day get me to work and back bike. Just a bit annoyed that all.
Will send them an email and see what they have to say.

Quick Reply: Downpipes CBR 600 F1