F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Don't you just like that one warm winter day to ride!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Don't you just like that one warm winter day to ride!!!

Hello all,

I have a question, and yeah, today was one of those nice warm Winter (late Fall actually) days up here in PA where I was able to take the bike out for one last ride (even though, I had already prepped for Winter, I just could not resist!).

However, I have one question. Does the gas mileage on this bike suck or does riding at 90+ miles/hour really use that much more gas.

The last time I filled up, I used mid-grade gas and it only took like 4.2 gallons to fill the tank. I rode it home (about 20 miles) and only rode the bike a couple days later around the block after I put Fuel stabilizer in my tank. Now today, when I took the bike out, I was so happy because I was able to ride, I did go a little overboard and took the bike to 115MPH for the first time.

Did it scare me? sure did. Was it worth it? sure was!

But I know that after filling up with gas and for that little bit of riding that I did, it couldn't have used that much gas that quick (but it did). So either my bike sucks at gas mileage, I used too low grade of fuel, or the high speeds with WOT ate up all of my gas. I really don't know which one.

I do know that riding fast, like in a car, does use more gas, but I only rode like 15 miles total this time (and only about 10 miles going that fast). I was only going that fast for about 12 minutes or so total time (round trip).

Also, does anyone know how much fuel is left when the RES appears on your speedometer? (btw, does RES mean resolve, like resolve by putting more fuel in? or does it mean reserve, like I am now running on the reserve fuel?)

Thanks for your input everyone.

EDIT: I now know that RES means reserve. Here are some other factors of my riding. I don't rev a lot when at a light. Only a small rev every now and then. I weight about 185lbs. I usually ride until about between 5-7000 RPM before advancing to the next gear. I always let my bike warm up for at least 5 or 6 minutes before riding for the first time.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don't you just like that one warm winter day to ride!!!

RES wouldmean reserve, as in, you're running on your reserve-fuel (and should fill-up ASAP).

And althought I have no data to back this up, logically, the faster your ride, the higher the bike's rpms (consuming more fuel), and also the more there is wind drag (requiring higher rpm's and higher throttle opening, once again consuming more fuel).

The same thing happens with cars. You'd be surprised how big the fuel consumption difference is in most cars, when you compare a trip in top-gear, at 55mph vs one in the same highest gear at 75mph.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM

Thanks 405hp. It seems like I wrote my little edit about the RES the same time you replied.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM

i was able to get a ride in also, i was in Bethlehem PA it was great to ride i needed it

Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Yesterday was a great day to ride. I went for about a 45 mile ride. Any of you guys from around the Pittsburgh area? Sorry about the thread jack, but my bike usually gets around 115 miles before the RES light comes on. Not sure how far you can ride on RES but might be some good info to know.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 PM

depending on riding style, you should get between 35 to 55 mpg

i usually get 40 to 45, but have seen 57 mpg on a long highway trip
also, reserve comes on with around 1 gallong left in the tank

Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 PM

Ya reserve comes on with like .9 something gallons left
________
SweetMarie1977 live

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 PM

Thanks for all of the input so far.

I'm in the Philadelphia area.

Well, I think that it is just my clumsy mind of mine, but that time I filled up that I mentioned above was at the beginning of November. It was November 4, 2008 to be exact. So I think that I rode about 10 times since then and I probably got average gas mileage.

This time when I filled up, I used Sunoco's Ultra 93 and I added a little fuel stabilizer for storage.

You just gotta love those needed one day out of the ordinary warm day rides! 68F today in Philly was a record. Woohoo!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who needs WARM, just give me sunny and I'm on it. I need some snow tires here in the D.[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 12-16-2008, 06:42 PM

I feel the same way especially since I am a new rider.

I rode a lot this fall after I got the bike because I was so happy. I rode as cold as 37F. I have a pair of waterproof gloves, a balaclava (crappy cheap $10.00 one though) and my Teknic textile jacket. I really didn't feel the pinch of the cold weather either. I just hate those gloves (only because they are not broken in) because with them being a little thicker, they make it a little harder to be precise with the throttle.

Quick Reply: Don't you just like that one warm winter day to ride!!!