F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Do you run your rear tires w/ a proper(z-rated) patch job & not the quik-fix patch for long

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you run your rear tires w/ a proper(z-rated) patch job & not the quik-fix patch for long

I've a flat to take care of & am debating whether to go with a patch job or not. The flats pretty much in the center so a z-rated patch done by some good folks should last me enuff.

Browsed to figure out how many ppls actually run their bikes with patches on the rear & didn't find many.

If any of u guys do run patches on the rear kindly let us know how long u've had it w/o any issues.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Default RE: Do you run your rear tires w/ a proper(z-rated) patch job & not the quik-fix patch for long

recently i had a puncture in the rear.... long screw. Took it to my mechanic... unmounted trye from rim... did a proper internal patch job. I wouldnt be staisfied with teh umbrella things. It holds up fine

Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Default RE: Do you run your rear tires w/ a proper(z-rated) patch job & not the quik-fix patch for long

Not worth the risk of a blowout. If I get a nail in a bike tire, it's time for a new tire.

Ain't worth my life to save a measly $150.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:46 PM

don't be cheap...buy the new tire. Just for fun do a search about blow outs with patches and plugs....Its not pretty.

You only have 2 tires, I want mine in the best shape.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:51 PM

I patched a fairly new tire (less than 1,500 miles on it) once... had no problems with it. Even when I finally replaced the tire the patch looked really good.

What you do is all up to you though. If you don't have the dough (like I didn't at the time) then it may be worth the risk. Just don't ride like a fool and make sure it's done by a good technician.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Banned

I had a screw in my tire, I called a local shop and they told me it was illegal for a shop to patch a motorcycle tire in Florida. I didn't know if it were true or not, but why take the risk? I plugged it and road slowly to the shop and got a new tire.

Then again, does anyone know of a tire that was patched that didn't hold?? Maybe that is the better question.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527
I had a screw in my tire, I called a local shop and they told me it was illegal for a shop to patch a motorcycle tire in Florida.
Yea I guess I could/should add a comment to my original post that is along those same lines:

When the Honda shop patched/plugged my tire I actually had to sign a waiver that relieved them of any responsibility if something was to go wrong with my tire. What they told me was "We recommend that you replace the tire but we can patch it for you if you want." Then they went on to tell me that they had done it many times before and never had a complaint/problem. I should also tell you that I put almost 5,000 miles on the repaired tire with no issues. Air pressure was never abnormal.

You make a good point fishfryer - I think we should be asking if anyone has had problems with patches and/or plugs.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:48 PM

I've had two tires patched and a neighbor plugged 2 of his own (on his own) and no issues. Even the tire manufacturers say it's no problem, but it all comes down to preference IMO.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

Not worth the risk of a blowout. If I get a nail in a bike tire, it's time for a new tire.

Ain't worth my life to save a measly $150.
+!

Old 08-07-2006, 01:43 AM

After a couple of responses here I decided on a new tire, called up my dealer for the tire & they said to bring her in. Service tech inspected the damage & said that there was no need for a new tire. He could put the new one but he was firm that I didn't need one. He said that the tire manufacturers have nothing against it either. So got the patch, done about 500 miles since then, looking good so far.

The only reason I didn't wanna get a new tire was cause I ride my bike everywhere I can & if I need to change a tire for every flat I get, riding will have to become a hobby & not an everyday thing.

Another alternate I found while digging this whole patch thing is race take-offs. They offer here in the Dallas-Ft Worth area for $75 for a tire.

Thanks for the feedabck
Ashish Hareet

Quick Reply: Do you run your rear tires w/ a proper(z-rated) patch job & not the quik-fix patch for long