F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Do I really need a new helmet now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I really need a new helmet now?

Please don't find out the hard way that another $140 is worth every bit of it. You can hang off the helmet just as a reminder.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 AM

As stated a helmet is designed to take one bounce off the pavement. Time for a new one.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:50 PM

$140? that IS chump change when you're talking helmets.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: charlos

very true...dont scimp on helmets.....a good helmet, you will get up and be like...****, i wrecked my bike....a crappy helmet, you'll have a concussion

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: oodayvidoo

agreed... get a new one. if you have taken the msf course they should have told you that even if you drop your helmet from arm's/shoulder's height that you should not wear it anymore and should get a new one. helmets take a certain amount of damage and depending on what kind/brand of helmet it is, sometimes the shock is absorbed around the whole helmet (mostly shoei) instead of just that one particular area that had contact.

i know that you dont wanna hear that cliche of putting a price on your life but seriously that's what it comes down to. riding a bike costs you (money, risk, etc)... should have thought about that before buying a bike
it makes sense i guess, but WHY must you get a new helmet after u drop it?
i definately understand after a wreck b/c the compressible material has been comprimised by ur head when you hit the pavement... but there is nothing in your helmet when you drop it... so therefore only the shell (most likely only the clear coat) was affected by the drop... so the compressible material "that saves your life" wasnt touched, or had any pressure put on it.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: travsstuff

very true...dont scimp on helmets.....a good helmet, you will get up and be like...****, i wrecked my bike....a crappy helmet, you'll have a concussion
well depends on how crappy. if it's got dot/snell/bsi certification, it should do the same job as a very pricey helmet.

a $100 scorpion should protect your head as well as a $600 shoei. the price difference isn't in the protection, it's in fit, finish, weight, venting, design, and brand name.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 PM

not always true. Read up on helmet studies.

I love all the experts in this thread. A helmet is not done as soon as it hits something. That is why manufacturers usually offer a free service to inspect your helmet if you suspect damage to it. You pay shipping and handling.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM

still, it's safe to say that doing a 70' superman and landing on your head will generally mean your helmet is done.

simple lowside may be one thing, but that sounds like a serious shunt.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM

still, it's safe to say that doing a 70' superman and landing on your head will generally mean your helmet is done.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 PM

well depends on how crappy. if it's got dot/snell/bsi certification, it should do the same job as a very pricey helmet.

a $100 scorpion should protect your head as well as a $600 shoei. the price difference isn't in the protection, it's in fit, finish, weight, venting, design, and brand name.

agreed.......just watch out for some of the super budget ones like really low end fulmer's and watnot, some of them are only DOT approved and not snell, and surprizingly, a few of the major manufactuers have the same thing goin on with their 3x + size helmets, only DOT approved.

Quick Reply: Do I really need a new helmet now?