CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Do I Need To Winterize? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/do-i-need-winterize-117222/)

iMac 10-03-2010 04:08 PM

Do I Need To Winterize?

Well basically my room is downstairs in a finished basement. This winter i plan on just bringing the bike into my room where i can work on it etc.. do i really need to do anything to winterize it? I dont plan on starting it or spilling any gas/oil etcc, is it safe for me to be in the same room as it or should i worry about any other kind of fumes etc.. thanks

Zero1080 10-03-2010 07:38 PM

You'll be fine "living" with it.

If you're not running it, then you should change the oil before you bring it in. Other than that, I doubt there's anything you'll have to do. Maybe just get a tarp or something to put under it so if anything does drip it won't destroy the carpet.

yellowcbr 10-03-2010 08:45 PM

Fuel stabilizer to remove the water in the gas and fill it to the tippy top to lessen the amount of air in the tank.

Timmy_Jones 10-03-2010 09:14 PM

Take the battery out...seriously. I live in Maine and put her away for 2.5-3 months and she is fine like that. Usually a full tank of gas and a oil change come weather that is above freezing.

Krux 10-03-2010 09:29 PM

Fill the gas to the top so there is no air. Put some sea foam in it so it stablizes the gas. Also some say to put oil in the cylinders so that lubricates it from not getting any "rust or moisture" in the cylinder holes. Proper air in the tires. Some will say take it off the ground. Its up to you on all this. Pretty much I just fill the tank,sea foam it, take battery out on a tender, and start it up once or twice a month.

Seafordguy 10-04-2010 07:38 AM

We are talking about a couple months - if you really want to go all out put some fuel stabilizer in it - otherwise don't worry about it.

Also - I disagree with the others above. Fuel these days is hydroscopic because of the ethanol, therefore I like to store things with as little fuel as possible and then fill up with fresh each year. That is how I do my toys and I have never had any problems.

crashking 10-04-2010 08:33 AM

im glad you made a thread about this im interested to hear whats to come

Seafordguy 10-04-2010 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by crashking (Post 973617)
im glad you made a thread about this im interested to hear whats to come

You can also search here. There are about 2547 threads on winterizing.....

crashking 10-04-2010 11:28 AM

^ good point

iMac 10-04-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy (Post 973633)
You can also search here. There are about 2547 threads on winterizing.....

I agree there are a lot of threads about winterizing. But I was wondering if I was to store it indoors and if I would be safe with it in there, little different