F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Do I have a shady mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a shady mechanic?

Hey guys. Listen to this story I am about to tell and let me know if you think I am getting messed with by my mechanic, or I just made a rookie chain buying mistake?

I bought the chain and sprocket kit for my '04 F4i that is listed in the link below. I got the stock 16 and 46 sprocket and 525VM2 DID x-ring chain. Sprocketcenter says on their site that they "cut the chain to the correct length for the gearing I selected."

Superlite Steel Sprocket Set w/D.I.D. Premium 525 X'ring Chain - HONDA CBR 600F4i 01-06 - Sprocket Center

After picking up the bike from the mechanic (who I have used a few times) I ride home. Then over the weekend I notice that the wear indicator is still all the way in the replace zone if you are familiar with what I am talking about. If not, what that means is, the adjustment screws and rear axle are pretty much as far back as possible, and any further adjustments for when the chain becomes slack will be impossible.

So I ride back to the mechanic with a "WTF" look on my face and he tells me that I will have to bring it back in because they will have to cut an extra link or two because the chain was too long. He even told me that because chains stretch a little within the first few miles, that my chain is already too lose ( I only mention this because DID X-rings say they are pre-stretched. Marketing bull****? Or mechanic bull****?)

He said it is partly my fault because I brought him the chain that was too long, and partly his fault for not counting the old chain links and making sure the new chain had the same amount. He said because of that he will not charge me the full hourly rate "but make me a special price."

I can't help but feel either this guy is just going through a lot of trouble to get maybe $30 out of me, or sprocketcenter (who has awesome prices and the sales guy was very helpful when I called to make the order so don't read this as me trying to dissuade you from buying from them) just screwed up and didn't cut the chain right?

Either way I have that "I got screwed feeling" and usually that means I am. What are your two cents? Did I just make a rookie chain buying mistake by not asking about the chain length (I admit I had no idea to ask. I thought a 525 chain was the same length as any other 525 chain)?

and if you have read this far I applaude you for taking the time to read this. Can't wait to hear everyone thoughts. I am taking the bike in tomorrow after work because it needs to be done.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 AM

put down the crackpipe! its making you paranoid!! lol

No seriously though,
I always put the sprockets on, then drape the chain around it, then measure and THEN cut. mechanic should have done it right the first time.

I doubt he is trying to rip you, $30 isnt worth going to the effort of trying to rip someone.

Its simply a lazy oversight that he shouldnt have made, but in my opinion a completely easy mistake to make.

additionally, YES, it is true that chains WILL stretch a little bit when they are brand new, so if you have more slop now that before, its normal.

Remember failing to lubricate your chain every 4-500km and doing wheelies cause your chain to stretch at an accellerated rate

Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 AM

The mechanic should have checked his work before he told you the bike is ready to be picked up.
One time i had new tires put on my car, before i drive off i get out and check the lugnuts. Because one time i bought some new wheels and put them on my car myself although several beers were involved when i took off down the road, when i went to turn around i only had three wheels. i made the mistake but anybody can make the mistake so i check anything before i leave if i have dropped something off to be fixed

Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are paying the mechanic for his professional competence. Installing the chain too long is a mistake you are paying him to avoid. He should have noticed and taken corrective action when he set the chain tension himself. He's supposed to be doing a familiar task and be aware of the pitfalls of same. That's why you paid him, instead of doing it yourself. If he didn't quote the job cost accurately up front, that's his failing as a businessman. I would make him get it right for you, and depending on his attitude about backing his work, consider finding another mechanic for any future work done. And let him know that that is a consideration, as well.

Ern

Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 AM

I agree with the others, it's not your fault at all, and is 100% the mechanics incompetence. I've installed a few chains and sprockets, not only is it an easy task, but the first thing you do, is make sure the chain fits well. You don't crimp the last link on until you are 110% sure that it's the perfect fit. Meaning you bring the wheel all the way forward, wrap the chain around, and make that fit as tight as possible. $30 isn't really anything to make a fuss about, but the fact that he was did a **** poor job on a very basic job, is concerning.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed...the mechanic should've done the job properly. This is a very basic motorcycle maintenance task. There's NO excuse for him not doing it properly.

Couple of questions here... Is the axle adjusted properly? & Have you counted the chain lengths?

As for SprocketCenter, I've done business w/ them & recommend them. If they made a mistake w/ the chain length, call them & let them know. Count the chain lengths & tell them what you have. Give them a chance to make it right w/ you if they made a mistake.

As for the D.I.D chain, its one of the very best you can get. I run it on all of my bikes.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
You are paying the mechanic for his professional competence. Installing the chain too long is a mistake you are paying him to avoid. He should have noticed and taken corrective action when he set the chain tension himself. He's supposed to be doing a familiar task and be aware of the pitfalls of same. That's why you paid him, instead of doing it yourself. If he didn't quote the job cost accurately up front, that's his failing as a businessman. I would make him get it right for you, and depending on his attitude about backing his work, consider finding another mechanic for any future work done. And let him know that that is a consideration, as well.

Ern

I agree with the first half of this, the mechanic should have noticed that the new chain was too long after he installed it. I think the fair thing would be to charge you a small amount for cutting the chain to the correct size (since that should have been done from the start) then reinstall at no charge since he didn't double check it the first time.

I think it's probably sprocket center's fault for sending the wrong length chain, but to avoid the hassle of sending it back and waiting for the correct one, I'd front the money and have this one cut.

I really don't think the mechanic is trying to screw you, but he may be getting a little lazy with his work and that would warrent shopping around for a new one.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM

count the links they should be 108 links for your configuration, Most of the time depending where you get the chain they ship 120 links and have to cut it. count to 108 cut off the rest.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Tell him he owes you 30 bucks for the time and gas u spent having to go back to fix HIS mistake

Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Unless the OP told the mechanic that the chain was already cutted to size...

Quick Reply: Do I have a shady mechanic?