F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Disaster strikes!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragondima
I don't know what the symptoms of bad gas is, but i'm starting to think this is it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never done this before, and i'll be doing this in the company parking lot of a realtor (it was the closest lot to me). Any suggestions, of what i should bring to do this job? Thanks!
Syphon or pump out as much of the old gas as you can and fill it with fresh fuel. You might have to ride it for a few minutes before the rest of the bad gas is purged from the system and you notice any improvement.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me on Monday. Called my roadside assistance and had them bring me 2 gallons of 93. Swished it around and hit the starter. She coughed a lot but stayed lit long enough to bang off the rev limited and get the new gas in the system.

Where in Philly are ya?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Bad gas, fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. If you can't figure it out yourself then chances are you won't have the mechanical ability to fix it yourself either. Not trying to be mean I just don't want you to F the bike up more and be paying a ton of money for a mechanic to fix it in the end.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses! I'm by no means a mechanic, but i've done standard things with cars (oil change, changed brake pads and rotors, headlights, audio systems, etc). So i doubt i'll be able to diagnose the bike. I'll get new fuel, and try to get some stabilizer for the tank, after i drain it. I'm uncertain if this is the real cause of the problem because i don't know if i explained what's going on correctly, and i don't know how what the symptoms are, it's hard to take everything in when you're in a rush to work, and shocked by what's going on. Kuroshio, this happened in Bucks County a little bit outside of Northeast Philadelphia. I'll keep you updated guys.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 PM

I had a similar problem with my bike, I had new gas in the bike, and after that was all out, put some old gas in that was sitting in my shed. Once the old stuff ran thru the lines it completely would not start up anymore. I switched out the spark plugs then it ran perfectly again. I would possibly check your plugs

Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plug filter from varnish build up could be very possible. Allowing not a high flow of gas. Enough to get it running but when it needs pressure it bogs and dies.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Hey guys, so i got the bike home. I couldn't drain the gas in the bike, so i decided to add new gas, and shake it up for a few minutes. The bike started right away, perfectly fine. The exhaust was spitting, and i know that's fine, but it was spitting heavily for a while, and when i gave it a large rev it sent out white smoke (heavy white smoke). I know that when a car has too much oil in it, it does something similar, so i'm going to do an oil change asap.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the responses! I greatly appreciate all the help!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dragondima
Hey guys, so i got the bike home. I couldn't drain the gas in the bike, so i decided to add new gas, and shake it up for a few minutes. The bike started right away, perfectly fine. The exhaust was spitting, and i know that's fine, but it was spitting heavily for a while, and when i gave it a large rev it sent out white smoke (heavy white smoke). I know that when a car has too much oil in it, it does something similar, so i'm going to do an oil change asap.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the responses! I greatly appreciate all the help!
My f4i had lots of white smoke when the fpr went bad. just pull the vacuum hose off the FPR and see if it is wet with fuel. Dry means it's good. wet means it needs a new replacement.

I paid about $80 at the local stealership for mine about 3 months ago. They even had it in stock.