F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Directional arrows on brake rotors? Important?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Directional arrows on brake rotors? Important?

I have 2 right front rotors that are bent and 2 left front rotors that are straight. If you've ever dismounted and remounted rotors you should know there are directional arrows telling you which way to mount them much the same as the directional arrows on a wheel. Does anybody know if its actually a bad idea to say, put a left rotor on the right side and run it?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM

I think it is, the way they wear in, If it is put on the opposite way it will cause more wear. This could be marginal and not really effect handling or braking power or feel, so i am not sure. But theoretically it should effect it slightly. How slight is the next question, If you can break them in property i don't think you should have a problem before hard riding

Old 02-16-2009, 02:06 PM

I'm thinking about just buying new aftermarket rotors. Any opinions? Braking or Galfer are leading the way. Brembo's are too expensive.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 PM

i know a guy on another forum that has a good used set of galfer wave rotors for 300

Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it wasn't important then they wouldn't specify which way they are supposed to rotate.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
If it wasn't important then they wouldn't specify which way they are supposed to rotate.
Amen. Get some appropriate rotors, either stock or aftermarket. Also unless you do some pretty hard riding on your bike, you won't notice a hell of a lot of difference with Galfer or similar rotors. They'd be mainly for looks. If you can find a cheap pair, though, go for it!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 AM

The robo-racer, bling-bling aftermarket brands are only equally expensive as new oem replacements and are frequently less than new oem. I notice nobody really has any idea why the arrows are actually on there, except for Xura maybe.
I know why some rotors have the arrows due to the way the centers are machined at a forward or rear swept angle but when it comes to stock Honda rotors I think its just so you will always have a right and a left and it doesn't matter which side they're on when they are new.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 PM

anyone know of any good brands/sites to get front rotors at? Im a noob rider with a 2003 600RR so wont be doin any hard riding, but dont want a crappy rotor

also, should i change the brake pads when i change the rotor too or that's not neccesary? If i should ne recommendations on brake pads?

Last edited by Pootie Tang; 04-28-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually get many many many pad changes on a set of rotors, so I'd say you don't need to change them as a set. HOWEVER, you should check the condition and judge from there on whether or not you'd get good surface contact.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:42 PM

thanks jaybird, any recommendations on what rotors to get?

Quick Reply: Directional arrows on brake rotors? Important?