CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Did a tune, didn't disable pair... bad? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/did-tune-didnt-disable-pair-bad-121746/)

coolbluedab 02-27-2011 07:32 PM

Did a tune, didn't disable pair... bad?

So I got a tune. Bike was shown as way lean after a BCM filter and slip on TB exhaust... It was rich before though, easily smelled. Tuner basically did a very detailed job, and got it to be about 13.6-13.7 on the ratio... from what I watched.
Power was not increased, but smoother, and AF ratio was smoother.

Real question is... Is this a worthless tune? Or was he just proactive?
I know AF ratio should be 13.4 and I know Pair lets fresh air into exhaust to burn unburnt, and makes it leaner... Does anyone know about how much of a difference that makes? Is my bike tuned pretty well, or just smooth and way too rich?

I've tried searching but no real info on how much the Pair affects AF ratio out exhaust.

Edit:
added dyno just in case it would be better...

Before tune

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7...beforetune.jpg

after tune

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/617...iaftertune.jpg

iJapanesey 02-27-2011 07:51 PM

Do u have a power commander installed?

coolbluedab 02-27-2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey (Post 1019554)
Do u have a power commander installed?

Yeah that is how I got the custom tune. PC, two brothers, BMC race filter.. Other than new plugs and synthetic oil.. That is it.

iJapanesey 02-27-2011 08:45 PM

Can you tell me why you wanted a PC with your slip on? I could justify it with a full system or if you were going to trackdays/race. I'm just curious as to why you got it. Did you get a custom map specific to your bike?

The Dyno itself looks like it was worthless. Did they adjust your throttle bodies at all?

jp_greenville13 02-27-2011 08:47 PM

You're pushing a hundred horse I'd hardly call it a useless tune. It might not be quite perfect but the dyno numbers (generally) don't lie. If the dyno is accurate then run it!

Mine is pushing 98.6 with a jardine rt-1 and i believe a factory filter. You're not going to get much better than what you've got there with what you've got there.

jp_greenville13 02-27-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey (Post 1019580)
Can you tell me why you wanted a PC with your slip on? I could justify it with a full system or if you were going to trackdays/race. I'm just curious as to why you got it. Did you get a custom map specific to your bike?

The Dyno itself looks like it was worthless. Did they adjust your throttle bodies at all?

Slip-on and filter justifies a PC...

coolbluedab 02-27-2011 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey (Post 1019580)

Why would they adjust them at all in the first place... Are you thinking it is carbed? It is a fuel injection... I don't know of any dyno tuner that does that...

My real question is.. Should I have him redo this without the pair system involved? Or is it ok? If he averaged a 13.6 or so ratio, and perfection is supposibly 13.4 is that a good compensation? Or does it get affected more by PAIR.

It runs smoother, it pulls harder, it is a definite improvement over the pre tune. Despite how peak numbers look. However I do not want to have it running so rich that I'm just tossing fuel out and killing mileage.

coolbluedab 04-26-2011 10:21 PM

Sooo, I disabled pair (without telling them) and had them check it out since my fuel mileage went to crap. And the girl/pillon/weight... smelled of gas after 5 minutes lol... Apparently, 2 5 and 10% throttle were rich... it was running 10-11 to 1 ratio... brought me in the mid 20s for fuel 30 if I was lucky. From what I saw while watching... and from what they said.. 20% was pretty good and so on up. So pair.. definitely affects fuel ratio a LOT, but apparently only at lower throttle positions..

Just out of curiosity... How much of a turn on a 1/4 turn stock throttle is 10%? Are these progressive? because 9 degrees of turn doesn't seem like it could be all the area there is to tune the 2 5 and 10 marks. And it definitely seems to get a lot more umph faster with more turn.

coolbluedab 04-29-2012 10:53 PM

Redid a tune this year, pair off, and decided to do an economy tune until about 7000rpm. Slightly over or at 14:1 ratio up to 20% throttle, and slightly lean the rest all through and a other ratios to about 13.5-13.8 for safer running.

Well, I went from 99, to right under 105hp...

Especially where I had it leaner. I almost wish I did the whole power band at 14:1 or so but both myself and tuner were worried about engine longevity at higher RPM and loads. I gained 5hp and 3-5hp throughout the entire power band. The bike I had before ran like a dog compared to now. I am very impressed and suggest to anyone else doing a custom tune to try the same, but perhaps the whole band vs 7k and below. just a tiny bit leaner than before really upped the performance, and DD throttle and RPMs are much snappier and smoother.

boredandstroked 04-30-2012 11:01 AM

Leaner a/f ratios always make more power but aren't safe for engines so don't do it. As you tuned where the lower rpm's are leaner and up top your safe is ok as your not making much cylinder pressure at lower throttle openings but when things start getting squeezed hard you want the extra fuel.